Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New here and planning ahead

Post Thanks / Like

Default New here and planning ahead

I love crappie fishing and do a lot of it here in Idaho, well, with what little areas there are around here. I am planning ahead now and have a year to pick your brains. Next year this time I will be spending two weeks on Lake Gaston. I plan on bring my ultra light set up, other than that tell me what I need. Am I wasting my time this time of the year? We can't use live bait here, so hook size, best way to hook minnows. Area's to fish on Lake Gaston, I will be staying at the Outdoor World there, don't know where on the lake that is. Best place to rent a boat in the area? HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME!!!

Thanks,
    Scott

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Outdoor World is on Stonehouse creek. The closest place to rent a boat will be Eatons Ferry Marina. The only other one I know of is on the north side of the lake at Poplar Branch marina. (you will be on the south side). I used to fish Gaston a lot in the spring but last 5 or 6 years we have been going to Kerr Lake. We have consistently caught more and bigger Crappie in Kerr. I've never fished Kerr this time of the year so I can't really recommend where to try. With a little luck, perhaps it will be nice and cool this time next year. You know, the type of weather where they fight each other to get your bait.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va