Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: potatoes?

Post Thanks / Like

Default potatoes?

what kind of potatoes do u guys plant and how.u just put the store bought ones in the ground cut in half or what

Post Thanks / Like

Not exactly, the store brand are treated with a chemical so they wont sprout. You will have to buy seed potatoes and cut them in about 3 pieces leaving a good eye on each cut. I put mine about 5 or 6 inches deep and then make a good heel on top. Place about 4 pieces in eash hole. Thats how I do it and im sure there are alot better ways so comeon guys let us know.

Post Thanks / Like

We always plant red "seed Potatos" from your local farm store or Gardening Center. Potatos that come from the grocery store are treated with growth inhibitors to try and keep them from sprouting but I have seen them sprout. I would buy the seed potatoe so you won't have to go back and replant if the grocery store ones don't come up. Just my 2 cents.

"Shep"

Post Thanks / Like

If you leave the store bought potato in a cool dark place they will sprout and you can plant them but they won't produce like the seed potato's will. We always dug a furrow and dropped a potato with a sprout with the sprout facing up. We would use the length of our foot to judge how far apart to place the potato (about a foot). We would then step on the potato to sink it a bit and then cover the dirt over them. ( We stepped on them and sunk them a bit so when we covered them with dirt that they wouldn't get turned over). We cut them so each piece had a sprout in it. It didn't make a difference how big the piece was as long as it had a sprout in it. EB
    Last edited by Eager Beaver; 05-02-2009 at 10:37 AM.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't planted potatoes for many years but when I did I would dig a furrow put in the potato then cover with several inches of mulch (straw, leaves, etc.). Did not cover with dirt. The potato grew in the mulch and was very easy to harvest. Could not tell if I got more potatoes using mulch or covering with dirt. Sometimes I would go out and just roll back a little mulch and get a couple of potatoes.

Post Thanks / Like

Google is your friend.

My brother's neighbor rescued him from a potato disaster. They mounded the planted potatos.

I don't know anything about this potato raisin' but I can query Google. There is MUCH information for inquiring minds.

aj