The MAD Report - April 2009 Edition

Message from the Chairman

I can hardly believe it, but MAD 4 is here already! We are in the final phase leading up to the largest Military Appreciation Day event in our history. This will be the last MAD Report before the big event takes place and close to 1000 people descend upon Morehead City to show our Troops how much we support them!

As of this writing, we are expecting approximately 400 of our Military personnel to be out fishing on 75 volunteer provided boats plus the two charter boats we have hired. We are also expecting 200 military dependents participating in activities on land. To pull this off though, we still need more volunteer boaters.

The huge enrolment from our Military guests has forced us to create a waiting listing due to lack of boat space. So, if you have not yet signed up as a boat volunteer but are considering it, PLEASE DO IT NOW! It takes about a month to get all of the assignments put together and to coordinate with all of our guests, so time is of the essence at this point. We do not establish any hard cut off point, but if troops sign up we will continue to seek volunteers right up until the last possible moment. Our goal is to find a spot on a boat for every one that signs up so please consider signing up today.

For information about volunteering your boat, the tax deductions that come with it or to view the information packets, please visit the Volunteer forums on our web site.

As we get closer and closer to the big weekend, we seem to get more and more exciting news to share. At MAD 4 we will have not one, but three bands performing at two different locations! Entertainment is something that our volunteers have worked hard on this year, and I am certain you will be very happy with all three bands!

Our Family Activities are also greatly enhanced this year with considerably more for the kids including a moon bounce tent, a rock climbing wall, all kinds of games, face painting, cotton candy, private boat tours of the Crystal Coast, kids fishing opportunities and even free passes to play miniature golf or tour Fort Macon.

Of course, it would be impossible to talk about a MAD event without highlighting the amazing food that will be prepared by MAD volunteers at lunch and dinner. Our dedicated volunteers have signed up numerous award winning cooking teams that will be serving lunch and dinner on May 30. Everything from burgers and hot dogs to chicken and of course, pork with all the trimmings will be available. I don’t think it will be possible for anyone to leave MAD 4 hungry!

MAD 4 promises to be the best MAD event to date, and I hope we can count on your continued support. Time is running out though to volunteer. If you are considering bringing your boat, and I sincerely hope you will, please do so by May 5th so we can coordinate with our guests and take care of the boat assignments.

Also, don’t forget our volunteer dinner and meeting on Friday evening May 29th at Jaycee Park. We will have some exciting new program features to review, a great meal and many items to give away to our wonderful volunteer team, which could very well exceed 200 people this year! That is a heck of a good showing, especially considering the current economic crisis!

Thank you for continuing to be a part of the MAD Family and I look forward to seeing you at MAD 4 Morehead City on May 29 and 30.

Sincerely,
Rich Anderson
Chairman, Board of Directors

Military Appreciation Day, Inc. is a 501 (c) (3) Non-Profit Company.

To view the History of the organization, its sponsors, donors, and volunteers, visit the MAD web site: Military Appreciation Day • Home. On the web site, you can volunteer your time, donate goods and services, or make financial contributions to help Thank Those Who Serve America.

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended addressee, then you have received this email in error and any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. Please notify us immediately of your unintended receipt by reply and then delete this email and your reply. Military Appreciation Day, Inc. and affiliates will not be held liable to any person resulting from the unintended or unauthorized use of any information contained in this email or as a result of any additions or deletions of information originally contained in this email.