Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trolling line

Wardy Guest

Default Trolling line

What seems to be the consensus on what weight line to use for make "trolling rigs"?
    Last edited by Wardy; 08-21-2005 at 01:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

You talking about slow trolling, like spider rigging? I figure you are,
    but anyway, I have settled on 12lb. for my crankbait trolling. When I used
    to side-pull, I used 10lb Fireline for the main line, and 8lb Ultrathin for leader.
    I appreciate thin line, but don't like having to stop in the middle of a hot bite
    and re-tie because of abraded line, and what I mentioned does not seem to
    bother the fish. I recently bought a spool of Berkley "Big Game Solar Collector" at W-mart, I really don't care for the line's properties, but LOVE
    that color! Man, even I can see that stuff. It shows up better than anything
    I have ever tried, great when you've got a bunch of lines out and fishy tries
    to make trouble, heading for another line on the way in.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Wardy, I think most pros use 10 lb. as the main line with 8 lb on each drop. That way they only lose the drop that's hung up.

As far as trolling crankbaits most everyone I have read about use 12 lb. yellow Stren. I spooled all my crankbait trolling rods with 10 lb. yellow Stren because I am tring to stay with just a few different line sizes for all my fishing needs.

The 10 lb. will allow the crankbaits to run a little deeper than the 12 lb. would but most of the data that I've found so far on trolling crankbaits was conducted using 10 lb. line.

It really just boils down to what your most comfortable using.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

yeah you guys have it down right with your sizes.I have made a umbrella rig for crappie (crappieminibrella.com)instead of one or two baits you have from 5 to 9 jigs per umbrella rig and you do not need to upsize poles or lines to troll with them.an article will be coming out in crappie usa magizine in march.I have caught every specie except gar and striper in fresh water.if you are interested on finding more out email me at [email protected]
    Last edited by burdittbuckshot; 08-23-2005 at 04:12 AM. Reason: spelling