Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Taxidermy help needed!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Taxidermy help needed!!!

What is the best way to prepare a fish for the taxidermist? I,ve heard 2 or 3 different ways one was to wrap it in news papers & put it in the freezer. Just wondered what you guys think & thanks in advance.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I tell my clients to put it in a plastic bag that is plenty big. Wrap the bag around the fish to get the air out then put that bag and fish inside a 2nd bag and do the same. Write your license info, date, location,etc on a card and put it with the fish. If you are hand delivering the fish after it is frozen, you'll be good to go--frozen or fresh. If you are going to have to ship it to a taxidermist, you need to wrap it in an insulator like newspaper. Don't let newsprint touch the skin of the fish! It will dry it out faster and possibly cause scale loss on crappie or redears PLUS you run the risk of the print ink getting on the skin. I tell my clients to not wrap them in towels either. Plastic is all that should touch the fish skin to give your taxidermist the best specimen available so he/she can give you the best mount of your trophy. Good luck.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrdux View Post
    Don't let newsprint touch the skin of the fish! It will dry it out faster and possibly cause scale loss on crappie or redears PLUS you run the risk of the print ink getting on the skin.
    Well I guess we have a ton retarded taxidermists here where I live because when I called several to get packing instructions for 2 big crappie my GF and I caught... all said the same thing. Fold down the fins so they do not break, wrap in newspaper and then wrap in plastic.
    I asked them specifically about this issue you mentioned... and they told me that newspaper print will not rub off on the fish, or dry them out and tear scales off... as they thaw the fish out the newspaper will just simply peel right off.
    Fishin' fills the time until College football season

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I spoke from my experience. The post was just my opinion of how I tell my clients to take care of their trophies.

Archie Phillips has probably mounted more fish than anyone alive and he still recommends wrapping in newspaper. I've had a couple of bad experiences so I advise the way I do it to lessen chances of ruining a trophy. If others say differently, that's their choice and I won't criticize their opinions.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Default call

Mike owner of wooley booger jigs, he is a retired taxidermist of 20 years 731 571 6666