Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Question New to Crappie

Hey all,
    I just wanted to drop a note to say hi, and I have a question for getting started in Crappie fishing. I've been trying to find good(decent) starter jigs and things for Crappie fshing.

If someone could point me in the right direction I'd be most appreciative.

I was looking at this to get started but I don't know if it's worth the money or not.

I'm going to be doing most of my Crappie fishing at my Sister's house. They have a pasture pond with Black Crappie in it. I have a few different styles and types of rods, but I will probably be buying a cheapo short rod combo specifically for this pond.
    I need some advice on something in the 25-45$ range that will hold up and be easy to transport in a car.

Thanks,
    Jason

P.S.
    Money is a big factor here. 1 day a week p/t workin makes for lots of fishing time.. with little to no fishing money
    I couldn't think of anything witty to put here....
    Click my Homepage to help me in Gladiatus :D

Post Thanks / Like

i know how you feel about the pt/ 1 day a work week. thats what has happend to me and i am looking for work and thats why i too have a ton of time to fish. i have found that a ultra lite by shakespare called the microspoon its a great rod for crappie and bream. and it wont break the bank . i found mine at wallmart a few years ago. and i havent been able to find any more. i think i got mine for around 20 bucks.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Can't guarantee anything ...

... "el cheapo" ... will hold up, but Berkley Cherrywood rods are decent rods, and you can sometimes find them at WalMart for around $20. I wouldn't get one any shorter than 6ft, though. You should be able to find a reel that will match up with this rod, in the $20-$25 range.

Here's some other potentials, within your price range, and they are rod/reel combos :

Walmart.com: Shimano Slade Special Makeup Spin Fishing Rod and Reel Set: Fishing & Boating

Walmart.com: Mitchell 300Xe 6' 6" Combo: Fishing & Boating

Walmart.com: Shimano AX Special Makeup Spin Fishing Rod and Reel Set: Fishing & Boating

Walmart.com: Mitchell Avocet Silver Freshwater Spinning Combo: Fishing & Boating

As far as the tube jig kit ... it looks OK, for a starter kit. You might want to add a couple of Roadrunners (chartreuse marabou) in the 1/16oz size, to your lure list.

Also ... ANY reel, or rod/reel combo that you may purchase, that comes with line already on the reel ..... Take that line OFF !! It's usually 6-8lb test, and not of the greatest quality. Get a spool of 4lb test, respool the reel, and you'll get much better distance & performance from your outfit.

As far as travel worthy ... most 6ft or longer rods will be 2pc, so they can be broken down for transport. DON'T leave/store them in the trunk, or in the car, between trips !! The heat will degrade the line, and may even warp or degrade the rod. Place them in a cool/dry/dark place (I keep mine in a hall closet), and they'll last a lot longer.

These are just "suggestions" ... and not from personal use experience. I've suggested spinning tackle, rather than spincast tackle, but that's just MY preference. You choose what fits yours

... luck2ya ... cp

And Welcome to Crappie.com !!

Post Thanks / Like

Check Wal-Mart for a Shakespeare micro graphite in light or ultra lite action. They're $16. 96 at the store here. Put a Cardinal 101 or 102 on it $34.96 and you have a pretty good rod and reel. I've got one and I like it pretty well.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Albertville Alabama. And i would suggest wally world as well they do have the cheap combos.

Post Thanks / Like

Awsesome, thanks for the quick response guys.

I'm also looking at a few things from Cabela's online store.
    #4 Line (High vis) I saw a post on line choices here, and thought I would try it out since it was fairly well reccommended.

1 set of each color combo of these lures Not too sure about these, but they look nice and the various color and weight combos should be just about what I need to start with I think.

I'll probably go ahead and buy that little Joe set to have a variety of things. Also, I'll search around for those Roadrunners. (is that a brand or a type of jig??)

Jason
    I couldn't think of anything witty to put here....
    Click my Homepage to help me in Gladiatus :D

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Roadrunners ...

Quote Originally Posted by sjuapseorn View Post
    Awsesome, thanks for the quick response guys.

I'm also looking at a few things from Cabela's online store.
    #4 Line (High vis) I saw a post on line choices here, and thought I would try it out since it was fairly well reccommended.
    1 set of each color combo of these lures Not too sure about these, but they look nice and the various color and weight combos should be just about what I need to start with I think.
    I'll probably go ahead and buy that little Joe set to have a variety of things. Also, I'll search around for those Roadrunners. (is that a brand or a type of jig??)
    Jason
    ... are a Blakemore brand jig, that has a "pony head" shaped head and a spinner blade that runs underneath the body. Here's the link to them, straight from the ad banner on this site (they are sponsors of this site) :

MARABOU Burnt Chicken 1/8th [B2-1003-090] - $3.75 : TTI Companies, Fishing is our Life!

You can usually find them at tackle stores & Wally World, for around $3 - $3.50 per pack of two.

I'd be a little leery of marabou jigs that are commercially made ... some are OK, but alot of them are sub-quality and will lose their "bodies" after a few fish. The thread wrap is usually the culprit, and comes untied .. allowing the chenille body to unravel, leaving you with a plain jighead/hook. If I were going to give these types of jigs a try ... I'd just buy a pack of them (can usually find them for less than $2) next time I was in a Walmart. Solid white or solid chartreuse will suffice.

Here's a little tip/trick that you might need be aware of :

When using marabou Roadrunners, or even marabou jigs ... they usually have fairly long "tails" of marabou. If you catch fish with them, as is, then you won't necessarily need to try this ... but, if you experience alot of "hits" on them, but don't hook up with a fish, then try this - cut the tail down
    I usually cut the tail halfway between the hook bend and the longest end of the marabou tail. Sometimes the fish will just be nipping at the end of the tail, not so much interested in taking the whole bait into their mouth ... but, just "taste testing" it. Trimming the tail down halfway, makes them more likely to get the hook and it also makes it more likely that you will get a hook into the Bluegill & other sunfish that like to nip at the tail :D

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  welcome.gif
Views: 263
Size:  8.7 KB From Toledo Bend Texas!

If you think I can help you with some jigs (check out my web site) just Pm me and I will do what I can. I can make most any color and size you would want for crappie.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey sjuapseorn. I sent you a PM.
    To make life enjoyable, you must have crappie days.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I won't waste too much of your time, but I have a favorite style rod/reel combo that is great for the one rig multipurpose/ traveling person. Shop for a deal, but don't buy the cheap stuff. you will be spending more money soon if you do and you could've had better in the first place. A 6'6" medium action rod that feels light in your hand. Hold an ugly stick in one hand and a $20 torsion (low end Quantum) in the other and that will give you the feel of a light rod. Uglies feel heavy to me, and you'll be doing a lot of casting. Now look for a 2000 series reel (mid size, bigger than ultra lite) that comes with 2 spools. Avocet (mitchell?) reels at wally for about $20 is like this. Spool one up with 4 lb, cuz you can't cast real small jigs(tubes) with heavier, and the other with 6lb. You will get broke off some but you will learn the feel of light tackle pretty quick. you may even go with 8lb instead of 6, but I have fished plastic worms and caught largemouth up to 6 1/2 lbs on a rig like this with 6lb. Good luck to you, and welcome to the board.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast