Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie Spawning??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Spawning??

Made it out saturday with 70 deg temps but had no luck with the crappie. Saw lots of nice gills near the surface, brought home only 6, had to beg for them to bite my worm. Came back on sunday with my fly rod and some new bugs I tied up to get some more gills.... the secret weapon!

After fishing for an hour and half, caught 10 gills, and started to notice muddy spots up next to shore coming and going. Casted to one of muddy holes and pulled a crappie in! In 2 hours (had to go pick up my daughter) ended up with 15 gills and 6 crappie with lots of misses from other crappie. All the crappie came in 2 foot or less of water on a black nymph with hackle collar.

Could it just have been the 2-70 deg days got them up and fanning beds?? Did not get a water temp but sure seems early for spawn up here. Tuesday high is to be in the 40's so would guess they will get pushed back out deeper????

Post Thanks / Like

Don't you love those power blue skies
    J.I.L. <*)}}}><

Post Thanks / Like

crappies are definately spawning. Had a massacre day at brookville today, fishing in a creek, quite aways from the main lake, fish in about a foot of water, only 1 or 2 males actually had much of a tail left. Several harvest females were de-void of eggs, and most of the males were empty. Not sure how the next couple days will affect them, but im sure when it warms back up, they'll be back bumpin uglies.

HB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AtticaFish View Post
    Made it out saturday with 70 deg temps but had no luck with the crappie. Saw lots of nice gills near the surface, brought home only 6, had to beg for them to bite my worm. Came back on sunday with my fly rod and some new bugs I tied up to get some more gills.... the secret weapon!

After fishing for an hour and half, caught 10 gills, and started to notice muddy spots up next to shore coming and going. Casted to one of muddy holes and pulled a crappie in! In 2 hours (had to go pick up my daughter) ended up with 15 gills and 6 crappie with lots of misses from other crappie. All the crappie came in 2 foot or less of water on a black nymph with hackle collar.

Could it just have been the 2-70 deg days got them up and fanning beds?? Did not get a water temp but sure seems early for spawn up here. Tuesday high is to be in the 40's so would guess they will get pushed back out deeper????
    Russ, I can tell you why your missing your hits on those crappie...... You need to be using those #4 sickel hooks on a 1/32 oz head. Let me know your favorite color and I will make a special one for you,,,since you lost all the laser jigs you had before. After catching 15 one day off the same jig I would have thought you had learned what to fish with:D

Post Thanks / Like

Ya know, I wasn't even prepared for the crappie that day. The day before was no good so had my sights set on the gills. Was traveling light... Flyrod with an altoid can of flies, my regular rod with a bobber and hook and can of red worms... not a single jig with me!

Hitting the lake again tonight after dark, think I might know where those crapps are gonna be, just hope the wind dies down a little. Will have some jigs with me tonight. :D:D