Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prop and Jack Plate questions????????

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Prop and Jack Plate questions????????

I got the recommended pitch prop (21) Solas 4 blade for Yamaha 115 four stroke and also added a jack plate for SI clearance issue. This past Friday, I finally got enough time on the new Yamaha to give it a shot of WOT. Only get about 4900 rpms and that was with lots of up trim.

I don't know crap about this stuff. I don't wanna screw up a new engine.

Suggestions?????????
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Really depends on what kind of boat you have, on performance boats the higher you can run motor the better, this will also bring RPMs up. The real limiting factor on how high is the water pressure
    Last edited by woody123; 04-19-2009 at 01:16 PM. Reason: left out something

Post Thanks / Like

I was running an 18 foot Wellcraft Sportsman with a F115 and it ran 6000 RPM's WOT. I think I was running a 13 3/4 x 17 Stainless steel prop. I'm sure my Wellcraft was alot heavier boat. I think 4900 Rpm's is lugging your motor though.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom, I believe your motor should be turning 5500 at WOT but I don't have any documentation on Yamis. Check your owners manual and see what is recommended or perhaps TMD or Scrapper can verify what I'm saying.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
    I was running an 18 foot Wellcraft Sportsman with a F115 and it ran 6000 RPM's WOT. I think I was running a 13 3/4 x 17 Stainless steel prop. I'm sure my Wellcraft was alot heavier boat. I think 4900 Rpm's is lugging your motor though.
    I have the 861 Predator by War Eagle....

Post Thanks / Like

had a skeeter with a f150 and got 6000 (max rpm) with a 21. i would think a you might want to try a 19

Post Thanks / Like

Cane Pole, I'm running the same prop on the exact same boat with very good results, 5,600 rpm @ 54 mph with the speedo. My only thought might be the jack plate height or if not that then maybe the way the load is balanced? If you want to call 318-455-0745 I'd be happy to help if I can. paw paw perch
    honey.'':o the weather is to bad to work in the yard so I think I'll go fishing''

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paw paw perch View Post
    Cane Pole, I'm running the same prop on the exact same boat with very good results, 5,600 rpm @ 54 mph with the speedo. My only thought might be the jack plate height or if not that then maybe the way the load is balanced? If you want to call 318-455-0745 I'd be happy to help if I can. paw paw perch
    Your results was what I expected. Do you have a jack plate? It was Paul and I in the boat. Prob 500 lbs. together. 3 batteries. 1/2 tank gas. A few fish in the front live well.about 1/2 full of water. Not really over loaded. Boat has good hole shot. Immediately on plane. Doesn't have to groan to plane out.

Post Thanks / Like

I don' have a jack plate and thought my prop might need to be lower and considered putting one on but have decided to wait.Where is the cavitation plate in relation to the lowest point of the hull on your boat?
    honey.'':o the weather is to bad to work in the yard so I think I'll go fishing''

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paw paw perch View Post
    I don' have a jack plate and thought my prop might need to be lower and considered putting one on but have decided to wait.Where is the cavitation plate in relation to the lowest point of the hull on your boat?
    Not sure. Boat is at the lake about 40 miles from where I "stays". Look at my Ram mount post on main forum and you can see it, maybe. Ima lost stepchild with this stuff.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast