Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Field & Stream article

Post Thanks / Like

Default Field & Stream article

Have any of you seen the latest Field & Stream article about "catch more fish"? On page 59 it talks about putting rice and a stone in a bag and lowering it at your favorite spot for crappie. After a minutes the bag will fill with water and the rice will start to swell. Just pull the bag and it rips. The rice swells and starts floating and draws lots of bait fish, then bigger fish. You get the idea.
    What do you think of this idea? To tell you the truth, I don't have any idea how it would work. Just wanted to see what you guys think of this.
    U.S. Air Force Retired

Post Thanks / Like

It might work.I have chumed for catfish and it worked. I hear that a bale of alfalfa hay works good but the TWRA do nt care much for it.
    living life to its fullest, This is not a dressed rehearsal.

Post Thanks / Like

Use a bale of hay or straw, you'll have snakes.
    Gary
    cork'n crappie

Post Thanks / Like

I read an article once about taking egg shells and breaking them up into tiny tiny pieces and ever so often throwing them out while on your spot to attract fish.

Post Thanks / Like

I use corn all the time for carp and it works great. I think that they would eat rice also. Sounds like fun. Let us know how it does.
    Secretary of Da Fish!

Post Thanks / Like

ive also heard that an onion sack filled with dog food and sunk will do good to attract the small bait fish and in turn crappie, but never tried it.

Post Thanks / Like

i read that same article and asked some of my elder kinfolk about it and they said it'll work if the fish are in brushy cover or standing timber with branches below the water. Great Crappie Guru(MY uncle) told me the rice mimicks larva and that can trigger the crappie to bite he also told me about the times they would catch a smaller one and tie a float to em and watch em go back to the school and fish the float. i laughed at that but he reminded me that they didnt have " snazzy ass fishfinder's":D. If yall find alot of em try it out and let the board know either way. rice is cheaper than minnows(haha)
    One thing you can give and keep is your WORD.

God gave us fishing to cure all that worries us!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trashtrout View Post
    It might work.I have chumed for catfish and it worked. I hear that a bale of alfalfa hay works good but the TWRA do nt care much for it.
    how deep would you put the hay and why does twra not care much for the hay?

Post Thanks / Like

I was told that it is illegal,who knows why? But if you sink it on the side of a channel near cover it will attract the minnows, so I am told
    living life to its fullest, This is not a dressed rehearsal.