Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: I got my feathers to make some jigs

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I got my feathers to make some jigs

Bang! Bang! I got my feathers to make some jigs.

Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

PawPaw Gene is online now Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Some nice looking jigs there ship, plus some groceries to boot.

"gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Heck Yes!!! :D:D:D

Congratulations! I didn't know you were into turkey bustin.

I'm gonna try to sneak out of work today to do the same
    Mistah Kurtz - he dead
    A penny for the Old Guy

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Black Crow View Post
    Heck Yes!!! :D:D:D

Congratulations! I didn't know you were into turkey bustin.

I'm gonna try to sneak out of work today to do the same
    Just a little "Somethin...Somethin" Crappie weren't biting so pastor and I went gunnin.:D:D:D:D

Post Thanks / Like

Nice on both Ship

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

now i see that i am not alone in the turkey hunting addiction. congrats on a double harvest. now when you get those jigs ready i have $$ in hand for some.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ga.crappie&breamguy View Post
    now i see that i am not alone in the turkey hunting addiction. congrats on a double harvest. now when you get those jigs ready i have $$ in hand for some.

Great. There is an order form on my website. Take care.
    Last edited by shipahoy41; 04-01-2009 at 03:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

HOW TO CLEAN A CAPE

Skinning
    Many of today’s turkey hunters prefer skinning to plucking. Skinning a wild turkey is easy and, with practice, can take less than three minutes per bird.

The first step to skinning a wild turkey is to hang it from the head and cut off the wings at the first joint. Then, remove the beard by pulling gently and cutting the loose skin at the base. The next step is to remove the lower legs by cutting around the joint where the feathers meet the scaly part of the leg.

Remove the cape next by inserting a knife into the neck skin where the feathers start on the back of a gobbler's neck. Continue the cut down the neck and back following the subtle division between the back and breast feathers. Continue the cuts down to the base of the tail feathers and sever the fan by cutting the base of the tail. The cape and fan can then be put aside for mounting until the job of butchering is completed.

The remainder of the turkey's skin is removed by pulling and trimming with a knife where needed. The skin is removed from the legs by rolling it down as far as possible, that then it is severed with a circular cut of the knife.

Next, remove the upper wings and legs. Starting at the base of the neck, strip the skin from the carcass. The entrails can now be removed by cutting from the tail to the tip of the breastbone and cutting around the anus. Using your hand, reach in and pull out the viscera, trying not to tear them.
    --------------

Hang the turkey by its head and begin skinning out the back of the turkey by starting high on its neck where the feathers begin. If you've ever plucked a turkey, you know that a turkey's feathers are laid out in tracts and not every inch of skin has feathers coming out of it. For a cape mount, you want to remove the tract of feathers that run in about a 3" wide strip down the turkey's back. You can see a part in the feathers if you look closely and once you start skinning down the back of the bird you can see it's a very thin strip of skin that contains all the feathers that cover the back and even down the sides of the turkey.

Carefully skin the bird's back all of the way down to the tail and then cut down through the base of the tail to remove the tail with the back skin still attached. Lay the cape off to the side and finish dressing the bird. After the cleaning is complete, you have the option of washing the cape if the feathers got dirty or were messed up on the tips. After the feathers are dry, rub the entire bare skin and tail section with borax (You can use 20 Mule Team Borax which is a laundry additive you can find at Wal-Mart.) Don't skimp on the borax since it will help dry the skin and preserve it so the bugs won't attack it. The cape should be check periodically during its drying period of around 3 - 5 weeks. You may need to add more borax during this time.