Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: smoking fish

Post Thanks / Like

Default smoking fish

Brought me a smoker, http://www.americasbestbbq.com/morei...t_ID=455627879 , last week and went with a cheap electric one to see if I would really enjoy it plus I'm lazy and don't want to have to watch it all the time. Have done a few ribs, I thought they were good but wife likes her meat well well done so not too good for her and a beer can chicken which we both thought was great. Anyone out there done any fish on one? Any hints or tips for using them?
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

I smoked a fish once. Had a darned hard time keeping the thing lit. Did not even get a buzz (LOL)

I have smoked them with the scale side down (after filleting off the back bone) The taste really depends on what you put on it. The last time I put the fillets in a large zip lock bag with Italian Dressing for about 24 hours. It was good!
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.

Post Thanks / Like

I have one about that size but its not electric. I use charcoal for mine. I cook port butts in mine and I cook them for 8 to 9 hours. The meat is very tender and falls off the bones when it's done. I get the temp inside the meat up to 170 deg F and use a meat thermometer.

I have one of the charcoal starter metal things that allows one waded up piece of newpaper to get the charcoal started. In 15 min the charcoal in this started tube is white hot and ready to be put in the smoker.

I like to add some cinnamon sticks in the pork to flavor the meat.

My smoker has a water pan that I fill with water, beer or whine to add some flavor to the meat. I also add some hickory wood that has been soaked in water for a few hours. I put these waterlogged hickory wood pieces in the charcoal and they slowly smoke the meat.

The hardest part is cleaning up the smoker after I get done. I also rub the smoker's metal down with some olive oil to help keep it from rusting when I am done cleaning it.

I need something to lay the fish on the next time. I purchased one of those metal plates that are used on grills and intent to put some vegetables or fish on this plate so that I can smoke them without the fish fillets falling though the smokers grill.

Man I am getting hungry just thinking about smoking some more meat.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ
    Brought me a smoker, http://www.americasbestbbq.com/morei...t_ID=455627879 , last week and went with a cheap electric one to see if I would really enjoy it plus I'm lazy and don't want to have to watch it all the time. Have done a few ribs, I thought they were good but wife likes her meat well well done so not too good for her and a beer can chicken which we both thought was great. Anyone out there done any fish on one? Any hints or tips for using them?
    Regards,

Moose1am