Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Death Star Report. Interesting Results.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Death Star Report. Interesting Results.

Lots of folks probably remember me putting out some death stars around my boat dock this past early spring. If you remember, I painted one green, one yellow and left the third unpainted. Nothing scientific here. Just had some spare paint. Since the water level has dropped here (fall drawdown on Ky Lake), I can see the death stars. They are coated with algae..The death stars are about 10 feet apart in about the same depth of water at various points about the boat dock. You decide.

Green Star

1. most fish caught here
    2. 77 crappie caught
    3. 14 beam caught
    4. no catfish caught

White Star

1. next to most fish caught here
    2. 33 bream caught
    3. 18 crappie caught
    4. no catfish caught

Yellow Star

1. Least fish caught here
    2. No crappie caught
    3. 21 bream caught
    4. 2 catfish caught
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like Green is the magic color.
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Would be nice to see a diagram showing the dock and where each death star was located in relation to the dock and the walkway. Also are there any other factors such as brush piles close to any of the Death stars and not near the other death stars.

Would be interesting if you moved the Green death star to where the Yellow one is and the yellow one to where the white one was and then move the others to fill in the gaps. Then next year keep the same notes.

This may help determine if the locations or the colors really made the difference.

I know that one spot on your dock is better than others. The area where the gang plank meet the dock on the side towards the pump house worked best when I was there. I saw you catch several crappie from that area and that is where I caugth several the next night. But I don't remember which death star I fished that was right a that point. Probably the Green one. LOL

Good to see that they were covered with the algae. If memory serves me right that area is pretty shallow when they draw the lake back down to winter pool and still less than 10ft deep even at the very end of the dock when the lake is at summer pool. I do remember that there are many other brush piles surround your dock. I saw those last November when I stayed with you for the Teezur Crappie fishing tournament.

Try to move them around if possible and see if the green one attracts the most fish next time. That would be interesting to see.

The pvc pipe trees that I built and put in the lake were constructed of Green pigmented pvc 4" od pipes. So I didn't have to paint my trees. But I put them into 15ft of water and I suspect that they fell over and are deeper than I wanted them to be. And the water is not as clear as I figured it would be. There is so much suspended sediment in the strip pit that I doubt that any sunlight is reaching below 10ft deep in these pits and I bet that my pvc trees lack the algae needed to attack many fish. If I ever figure out a way to get them out of the water to inspect them I'll know for sure if algae is growing on them. But at least they are green in color.

One thing that I remember is that green and blues wave lenghts being shorter will penetrate deeper into water. Maybe the green death star has more algae growing on it's surface. I don't know if that would be the case or not. Can you tell if they all three have the same amount of algae growing on them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    Lots of folks probably remember me putting out some death stars around my boat dock this past early spring. If you remember, I painted one green, one yellow and left the third unpainted. Nothing scientific here. Just had some spare paint. Since the water level has dropped here (fall drawdown on Ky Lake), I can see the death stars. They are coated with algae..The death stars are about 10 feet apart in about the same depth of water at various points about the boat dock. You decide.

Green Star

1. most fish caught here
    2. 77 crappie caught
    3. 14 beam caught
    4. no catfish caught

White Star

1. next to most fish caught here
    2. 33 bream caught
    3. 18 crappie caught
    4. no catfish caught

Yellow Star

1. Least fish caught here
    2. No crappie caught
    3. 21 bream caught
    4. 2 catfish caught
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my question....

1) If they all have algae, then you wouldnt be able to see the color..correct? Maybe the color attracted them then in the beginning. But if they are covered, then the color plays no part now.

2) Does one bed get more shade than the others? Crappie tend to favor the shaded side of the dock more than the sunny side. If the water is clear.

3) Are the results all on the same day within the same time period?

Moose is correct, you need to exchange them in there places to see if the true is in pudding.

I toss mine just as they are, I dont have the time to spend painting one. But if painting does help well maybe I will consider it.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I won't to fish on the green one..LOL Or just add a few more green ones and see if the same thing happens. Like a green one beside the yellow one. And see it also draws as many fish as the other green one on the other side of the dock..

Pete