Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Truley Sorry

Post Thanks / Like

Default Truley Sorry

I hate that it comes to these times when people feel they have to pick up and leave. I hate when Ed has to get involved and defend decisions I make on deleteing threads. I have made several connections on this web site that I truley consider friends even though I have never personally met them, the only communications we have ever had is over this web-site. And then there are people who I have met personally, fished with them, and truley respect their opinions and feelings. I delete a lot of posts and threads. Mainly because they just get out of hand when they are left to argue over. I take a stand of personally attacking a politician (wheather it is the President or the former President) is the same as personally attacking a member of this forum. So they are gone as soon as I see them. I hate it if I have made the site boaring, not my intent. It is true I do not get on here as much as I use to. I work lots of hours and I have 2 children at home now. So every few days when I get here I start deleting threads that have already gotten out of hand. I know some of you can have real conversations about these topics without getting upset and agree to disagree. But there are a lot of folks that cannot do this without getting upset. Anyways I would hate to see this Off Topic Board leave. There are a lot of things talked about other than politics or religion. I am sorry if you find them boring. I personally like it when folks talk about their families acomplishments, birth announcements, hobbies other than fishing, prayer requests, and jokes(good or bad). Lets move on and try to remember there is more to life than political opinions. I am going to stay the same if possible and I hope you will all stay around to enjoy this web-site.
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. Well said!

Post Thanks / Like

In my humble opinion, if you want a vibrant OT forum, you must allow people to express their opinions on any subject matter that is not perverse, whether you agree or not.

I believe that personal attacks are always out of order but when a man or woman becomes a public official at any level, he/she subject themselves to the taxpayer's scrutiny. If they act like stooges then they must be reined in. It is a fact of life and a cornerstone of this great nation. This is only one way the public officials are held accountable for their actions.

Heavy censorship of religious/political comments will doom the OT because it defiles the right of freedom of speech and many folks will not continue to subject themselves to it. We are not a bunch of irresponsible schoolboys that don't possess command of the English language.

We all appreciate your dedication and involvement in CC but without the ability to speak freely, people will leave. Life is too short as it is and perhaps we all just need to be more responsible with what we write and what we delete.

I don't participate on the OT forum much because I'm on CC to talk fishin'. Once in a while I will write, but frankly, my opinions are my opinions and I don't put them on display all the time unless I feel it absolutely necessary--just like this one.

I want all parts of CC to be successful. I don't like seeing long time members jump ship. That is so unfortunate and will always be harmful to the CC corporate image. <><

aj

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arkie John View Post
    In my humble opinion, if you want a vibrant OT forum, you must allow people to express their opinions on any subject matter that is not perverse, whether you agree or not.

I believe that personal attacks are always out of order but when a man or woman becomes a public official at any level, he/she subject themselves to the taxpayer's scrutiny. If they act like stooges then they must be reined in. It is a fact of life and a cornerstone of this great nation. This is only one way the public officials are held accountable for their actions.

Heavy censorship of religious/political comments will doom the OT because it defiles the right of freedom of speech and many folks will not continue to subject themselves to it. We are not a bunch of irresponsible schoolboys that don't possess command of the English language.

We all appreciate your dedication and involvement in CC but without the ability to speak freely, people will leave. Life is too short as it is and perhaps we all just need to be more responsible with what we write and what we delete.

I don't participate on the OT forum much because I'm on CC to talk fishin'. Once in a while I will write, but frankly, my opinions are my opinions and I don't put them on display all the time unless I feel it absolutely necessary--just like this one.

I want all parts of CC to be successful. I don't like seeing long time members jump ship. That is so unfortunate and will always be harmful to the CC corporate image. <><

aj
    I agree with a lot of what's said here, and maybe a simple solution to the issue here, without having to censor or delete threads, is to add a warning to the forum description like:

WARNING: Content in this forum is not the expressed views of Crappie.com it's Sponsors or Affiliates and may not be suitable to all viewers.

And then let everyone have their "freedom of speech" as long as there's no threats, personal name calling and obscene or vulgar posts. I own several VBulletin discussion boards of various topics and warning labels can come in handy on certain forums.
    Fishin' fills the time until College football season

Post Thanks / Like

Hey crap-king, there's no reason to apologize. The rules are there for all to see and they are spelled out in simple enough language. When people start using words like 'idiot,' 'stupid,' and other such words, or basically calling other posters liars, that constitutes a breaking of the rules and should lead to deletion of the post/thread, if not outright banning that person from the site.

Some people can't keep their emotions in check on sites like these and that's their own problem that they need to find a way to deal with. It isn't something that the rest of the forum members should be subjected to. The site owner also shouldn't have to worry about policing people's language like a kindergarten teacher, but sadly, that is what has to be done with certain people. I bet it wouldn't take but a couple of people to complain to a sponsor about a post or two in here that contains demeaning language directed at our public officials or at other posters, to make that sponsor think real hard about pulling their association with sites that allow such talk. That's why I completely understand why some posts need to be deleted and why the forum needs to be moderated.

The number one rule I use when I post on any forum is that I won't say anything to another poster that I wouldn't say to them in person, while the rest of the forum members are standing around watching. I've never called another person an idiot, or stupid, or any demeaning name in this or any other forum, and I've never said anything that would cause me to shy away from meeting another forum member in person, shaking their hand, and being happy to tell them who I am. A lot of posters seem to think that just because they are hiding behind a keyboard and hundreds or thousands of miles away from another poster, they have the right to demean another person's job, way of life, or that person's life in general. It's sad that those people mess things up for the rest of us, but again, I understand completely why some things can't go on unchecked because of certain posters.

I think you guys do a great job at moderating the site and I admire what you guys go through to give us the opportunity to have an OT site in this forum. I hope it can stay on and will do my best to stay within the boundaries, but I certainly do understand if it doesn't work out that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcgamecock View Post
    The number one rule I use when I post on any forum is that I won't say anything to another poster that I wouldn't say to them in person, while the rest of the forum members are standing around watching.

Very well said, you dirty, lying, no good ... oops! Sorry!

JUST KIDDING! :D:D

Post Thanks / Like

Crap-King, you've done a good job.
    There isn't anything wrong with what has happened. I hate to see people leave of feel hurt over something that has happened in the OT forum, but we must remember, this is Ed's site and it's primary purpose is to provide a common place to share fishing insight, I think for most members this is the real reason they signed up, not because of the OT forum. For this reason the OT forum is not necessary for this sites success and those of us who enjoy the OT section must realize and respect this. Secondly when members sign up they agree to follow the rules the owner of the site has laid out before us, if a post has not followed these rules it is subject to moderation without question. Those are the rules posters agreed to so they should step up and honor the agreement, simple as that. I've had posts deleted in the past and after re-reading the rules I understood why. I have my opinions and strong emotions so to nullify them so I may stay in compliance with the site rules. I usually stay out of heated conversations, but I personally enjoy having an OT forum and feel I need to defend having an OT forum as there are good jokes and stories to read. So if the OT forum goes I understand, that's not my main purpose for visiting everyday, but I do believe it provides more good than it does bad.
    Goodnight Vienna...Pistols Firing!!!

Post Thanks / Like

CK

Nothing to be sorry about, the rules were posted and you were just doing your moderator jobs.

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

Default .02

From time to time I do stop here to read...more often than not I can get started on thread and just let it go. Many a time I have thought about making a comment, sometimes due to the nature of the comment, but find myself just letting it go. There are many who post in this forum and make it worthy. As there is real no "prerequisite" for posting you just have to live with what comes about. I do hope those who have chosen to leave reconsider, especially after giving things a little time to "settle down". Gotta remember...you can't control what people say or do, just how you react to them. I must say, that in the few years that I have been here I have only used the "ignore" button once....can't even remember his name, not important, but it did give me a sense of satisfaction that I didn't have to read what his posts had to say any more. All things considered, the more quality people we have particiapte on this board, the better we can learn, exchange views, and hopefully grow as a person. In the end, I think a lot of the negativism stems from the fact that some people have a hard time expressing themselves in a "ordinary and respectful" manner. They revert to middle school language and terminology because its just the only way they know how to react in a given situation. Maybe this is a signpost for all to reconsider how one can construct his/her comments without the post becoming deflamatory.
    Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us now, and at the hour of our death. AMEN
    For those who believe, no explanation is necessary....for those who don't, no explanation is possible
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

Post Thanks / Like

Well this may be the one but I can't take it no longer.
    We have this BS all over this site but we can't talk like we want to??????

BIG Brother is watching!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by crap-king; 03-24-2009 at 12:13 PM.
    Alan
    ------------------
    Tight Lines to all
    Roll Tide Roll

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast