Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie Rods and Spider Rigging Questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Rods and Spider Rigging Questions

I am looking to start spider rigging this year and started the rod and reel search. I've looked at a bunch of rods that are 10 - 16 foot long, when I came across some light action telescoping rods. I've never seen telescoping rods before and don’t know anything about them. I wanted to hear from anyone out there that uses these rods. How do the rods hold up and do you loose any sensitivity due to the rod being split up in various sections?
    Alex (KC Area, Smithville Lake)

Speck is online now MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I use B&M Slow Trolling rods for spider rigging. They work good for the price and are easy to store. Don't worry so much about sensitivity because they sit in a rod holder of some kind so you won't feel the it anyway. Plus, most of the setups I use has at least 3/8 oz of weight or more on them. I put 16 footers out the front and 12's and 14's to the sides.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using some of the B&M Black-widow 13 footers, and also the Tele classic 2000 13 footers and have had great luck with them. I like the collapsibility of them for storage. They seem to hold up real good for me, I've bent a few under the boat after getting snagged on limbs with no problems.

Post Thanks / Like

CJ and Speck, thanks for your input.
    Alex (KC Area, Smithville Lake)

Post Thanks / Like

I say try one telescoping pole and see if it works for you. You do want to make sure you have enough butt end on the pole before the reel so it sets in the holder without the reel getting hanged up when you set the hook.

If you primarily fish muddy to heavy stain water 12' poles work well.

If you get 16' poles you'll want a long net as the fish are harder to get to the edge of the boat.

I use B'n'M PST Rods. They have good backbone and quite sensitive for their mass but you don't want to use them for jigging.
    TAB often uses Buck's graphite jig poles for spider rigging. They are a good all around pole.

I also have a Tony Edgar spider rigging pole. It has a similar flex to the Buck's graphite pole.

My partner uses the Mr. Crappie 12' for spider riggin and they are a good value.

I don't know if this helps.

Good Luck

G.
    Standing in the Gap