Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Not crappie, but Yellow perch

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not crappie, but Yellow perch

Not a crappie report, but yellow perch fishing is hot now in the North East river!

Post Thanks / Like

Just how big does a yellow perch get? I have never caught one, dont know if i know what one looks like.

Post Thanks / Like

A 12" perch is a nice size. The minimum you can keep in tidal waters is 9". Here's a picture of some. http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/h...006resized.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice, so do you just scale them and fry them or do you fiillet them? What is best to use to catch these guys?

Post Thanks / Like

I filet and skin them. I used ultralite tackle, 4# test, 1/16 oz plain jighead and a minnow fishing 12 feet of water. They were alot of fun for my first day on the water in 2009.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jwdau View Post
    Very nice, so do you just scale them and fry them or do you fiillet them? What is best to use to catch these guys?
    John - I filet and then remove the skin from filet. I usually deep fry, but when fileting them I will sometimes put 3 or 4 filets in the microwave (1.5 minutes) with some season salt on them to make a sandwich. Horseradish Mayo is great on the sandwich.

As far a catching them Friday and Saturday a got at least 100 each day in J-Towne. 2" Twister tails with 1/16 under the docks and then a (2) hook rig using a 1/16 and 1/8 oz head in the open water. I put a 3" power grub on the 2 hook rig. Plenty of them out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Default J Towne

Thanks My friend, I will be out there next Friday trying my best. I really appreciate the help!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Oh yea

How deep should I fish??