Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garlic Scent

Post Thanks / Like

Default Garlic Scent

I read the Slabuster thread last week and it got me thinking about garlic

Does anyone use the spray on garlic scent??? Or make their own.

I mixed about a tsp of fine garlic powder with a tbsp of canola oil and used an eye dropper to put a drop or two in some jig bags.
    I squished them around and smelled it a couple days later and it definately smells like garlic...

It might wash right off but I guess it cant hurt to try somthing differnt.

any thoughts??

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of spray on scents out there. Charles Bunting said after his seminar that most scents he can not tell a differance one from another. But you have to be using some type at all times. Use the liquid to wash hands with after eating, fueling boat or truck, and smoking. Seemed to make since. Crappie nibbles and Bang garlic spray for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I keep a can of the spray in the boat. I'm not sure how effective it is. Seems the one in the back of the boat catches just as many without it. If you use it on a windy day.....be ready for a rod up side your head. j/k Bass pro has a deal on nibbles. Buy so many and get one free. Already piched the ad.
    I just KNOW it was a big one!!!
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I have always said crappie were not Italian. However, there is no doubt slabusters are the real deal. I have no clue what it is but it is the only thing in my boat that smells like garlic.

Post Thanks / Like

It works,

Post Thanks / Like

After reading the same thread, I thought I would buy a couple of cloves, dice them and throw them in a bag with some of my jig tubes for a day or so.
    I don't see why that won't help, or what it would hurt.
    I will post back with any results

Q
    http://www.facebook.com/quinn.noldner

Post Thanks / Like

We use it a lot. Last summer JJ & Mrs JJ put to the test. Mrs JJ used garlic & Chartruse nibbles on minnows & jigs As opposed to JJ going with out garlic & nibbles & Mrs JJ put more fish in the boat. She always out fishes me but when we tried this she flat hammerd me. The best I have found is the Yum brand. I have bought it at BPS & other tackle shops befor. I picked up 4 bottles at the tackle show last weekend for $1.99 per bottle. I have also used garlic juice that you get at the store & seems to work ok.

Post Thanks / Like

I got some of the yum spray and it just seems like it all washes off as soon as you dip it in the water how much scent do you think actually stays with the jig?

Post Thanks / Like

Heres another use for garlic.
    If you catfish much,and use chicken livers.
    Mix a bunch of salt,I like to use the coarse grain kosher salt,with garlic powder.

Drain fresh turkey /chicken livers and coat heavily with the salt.Place them on some type of screen in a single layer.The salt will pull out most of the moisture,so it will drip a lot.You can do it outdoors on a old window screen,or in the fridge in a colander with a bowl under it,or whatever else you can come up with.
    Let them sit 8 hours....or 8 days...I like about 2-3 days in the fridge,or 8 hours outdoors on a hot day(not in the sun),like them dry,but not like jerky!

They have great natural and added scent/flavor,stay on the hook better,not as messy,andwill last a few weeks in the fridge.

I like mine on a Ritz!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cook View Post
    Heres another use for garlic.
    If you catfish much,and use chicken livers.
    Mix a bunch of salt,I like to use the coarse grain kosher salt,with garlic powder.

Drain fresh turkey /chicken livers and coat heavily with the salt.Place them on some type of screen in a single layer.The salt will pull out most of the moisture,so it will drip a lot.You can do it outdoors on a old window screen,or in the fridge in a colander with a bowl under it,or whatever else you can come up with.
    Let them sit 8 hours....or 8 days...I like about 2-3 days in the fridge,or 8 hours outdoors on a hot day(not in the sun),like them dry,but not like jerky!

They have great natural and added scent/flavor,stay on the hook better,not as messy,andwill last a few weeks in the fridge.

I like mine on a Ritz!!!
    Sounds like that will work. How strong do you make the garlic. Can you make it too strong? Those salted livers have got to be better to work with. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast