Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pomme de Terre in March

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pomme de Terre in March

I'm considering Pomme de Terre for a mid March visit with my 70-year-old father. Would love to get him in on some decent action. What can I expect that time of year?

I've only been on the lake once, quite a few years ago. But I did find nice crappies in brush in coves on that visit, which was in April.

We'll be coming from the Omaha, Nebr., area, so I want to make sure we won't be wasting our time by coming too early.

Thanks for any info you care to share.

Frank

Post Thanks / Like

March might be a little early for the Pomme, but it can be done. If I had to I would focus around submerged timber along bluffs.

Post Thanks / Like

fstask to be honest with you it really depends ALOT on the weather just prior to you taking your father. warm prior to = shallower. cold = deeper. just give us a holler when its time, and I or someone on board will point you in the right direction.

Post Thanks / Like

The past few years n march havnt been that great,due to cold fronts & floods. if it doesnt rain alot it shuld be a great year. usually in mid march i hav best luck spider rigging the channel edges. let us know a couple days before u come,and ill let u know whats happening.

Post Thanks / Like

The last two years in March the lake has been 18' + high. It's been miserable with cold fronts, wind, etc.... However as long as the water doesn't get out of control you should catch them on the same beds as you did before. I hate to admit it but I normally turn my attention to spoonbill that time of the year, however let us know when you're coming and I'll provide any info I can.

Brad
    Can You Find, "LIMITVILLE!!!" :D

Post Thanks / Like

Guys:

You've been great with your responses. I really appreciate your willingness to share information. I think I'll book us in for a few days of fishing around March 14 or so, then see what happens with the lake and the water temp. If the fishing conditions are real good, then I'll just postpone one month.

In terms of where to stay around the lake, is there a part of the lake that's better, or is it really just a matter of using brush piles, timber and other cover that exists around the lake?

What about places to stay? We don't need a fancy resort cabin. Just a roof, bed, shower and kitchenette. Something inexpensive but not a dive.

Frank

Post Thanks / Like

I've always liked mid-lake and up river that time of year better! dinger shallower and warmer water! unless we get hit with a sharp cold snap!

Post Thanks / Like

Heh... It's not like staying at LOZ.. The lake is only about 12 miles up either arm, after that your basically in the river. I too prefer mid-lake, that's where we have always stayed. No more that 15 min either way to the fishing hole :D:D

Post Thanks / Like

Use to stay at a place called Indian Hills it os on the decker branch. They a dock to keep your boat and a ramp. The state park wasnt far either to put in at. Different people own it now havent stayed there since it changed hands but was always clean and was on a decent part of the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

You're pretty safe staying anywhere considering you're only half an hour on the water from one end to the other & that's taking your time. Some friends of ours bought a place just up the hill from Coopers Cove. Where H dead-ends at the lake. So we usually try to hang out in that area since it's close. There's good spots to fish just about anywhere on the water though. Watch out for the stumps in my are if you're moving very fast though. They're hidden just below the surface. Not sure on the rest of the wide coves though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast