Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ky lake temps

Post Thanks / Like

Default ky lake temps

I know much has been said about lake temps and spawning, but I thought this would be of interest. It shows lake temps for the spring months for the last few years.

In addition to the temps hitting the right spot to begin the crappie spawn I was wondering how you think the lake elevation impacts it too.

Heading down last week of march, hoping for good weather!
    Name:  temp.JPG
Views: 1127
Size:  41.6 KB

Name:  elevation.JPG
Views: 894
Size:  41.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Great info. Thanks!

Any idea what the lake temp is right now?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Here ya go ...

Quote Originally Posted by ToonaCrappieChaser View Post
    Great info. Thanks!

Any idea what the lake temp is right now?

Kentucky Lake Levels, Water Temperatures, and Conditions

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Nice post....good info

Post Thanks / Like

I saved it to favorites so I can check and see when I nned to go south.

Pepper
    Jeremiah 29:11

God says he has plans for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Water Temperature is the primary trigger mechanism for initiating the desire for a crappie to want to spawn. The Water elevation will often determine how success the spawn is. If water temp. of upper 50's is reached in mid march for several days, the crappie are going to want to go shallow, regardless of water elevations. With low water, they may not be able to find suitable spawning habitat, or competition between crappie will be high for the best sites. I think the old crappie have learned to adapt more. In example, in Big Sandy there is a greater variety of deeper suitable habitat. So when water levels fluctuate or are still low when temps are right, these fish can stay out deeper and spawn. I pointed this out in the "big meeting" the other night. Notice the water temp spike in 2007. When the water temp jumps up fast, the crappie will begin their spawning rituals. The eggs and milt development will be temp driven. And when the eggs are ready, they are ready. Very little ability to turn back a mature egg. So when a cold front hits in April, like 2007, then part of the spawning potential is lost, with those over ripe eggs. Water level fluctuations like 2008, when crappie are spawning in the shallows while the water is high, with the receding water, the crappie nest are lost as the fish move back out. Rising water is better, but can still have a negative affect. If a crappie has spawned in a nest and the water rises. The male will attempt to stay with the nest; however the rising water may bring in more nest robbing predators such as panfish and carp. Ideally, high and stable water levels would be best.

Post Thanks / Like

prister, great info thanks. With what you said about dips in April temps in 2007 and water dropping in April of 2008 are these reasons of concern for two year classes of crappie?

I guessing with your knowledge you would be able to tell me the growth rate of crappie in KY Lake.

Thanks for the informative info!

Post Thanks / Like

Murray State University's Hancock Biological Station reports 51 degree surface temp for today 3/10. How does this compare to temps in the bays like Johnathan Creek or even back in the spawning areas?

Thanks

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

At dark on Monday the temp in Big Bear Creek was 56 degrees on the surface.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Default KY lake water temp

Monday March 9th the temp in Sledd creek was between 52 and 56 degrees depending on where I was fishing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast