Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chevy Trucks - 4Wheel Drive Problems

TN River: Clifton, Perryville, occasionally northward
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Chevy Trucks - 4Wheel Drive Problems

A couple of years ago, i bought a 2002 Silverado Z71 4X4. Never used the 4wheel drive much and, last year, it didn't work when i was stuck on a boat ramp! (after being pulled up the ramp by a Toyota!!) I finally decided to have it fixed a couple of months ago, and.....over $1,000 in PARTS later, it still leaks fluid and doesn't work right!!!!! I hated to post this as I know the Ford/Dodge fans will say :p, but I was wondering if this is isolated to my truck or common with this model???
    BSRRofl

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know, I drive FORD! Just kidding, couldn't resist, but I do drive a ford. I have not heard anything about them having problems. Hope you get it all straightend out.
    Brian

Will fish for food!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a friend that had a Blazer that had that problem
    One Chevy dealer wanted a ton of $ to fix it.
    He took it to an independent shop and paid like $20.00,
    It was a vacuum line that came loose

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking The Ford/Dodge guys ....

might have a chuckle at your expense .... but, what are the Toyota guys gonna say :p (it could get ugly :D )

Seriously though ... do an online search for your truck's problem. Any recurring problem that's specific to one brand/model is gonna be all over the web.

I'm a first time pickup truck owner, so I don't have enough experience with them to make any comments of value. Currently driving a 2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 (4x2)

... cp

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Big Sandy, I drove Chevys for 52 years...Never had but 1 problem with 4-wheel drive and that was a $20.00 solanoid switch that engaged the 4WD..Chevys are not known for 4WD problems...I did, however, have numerous problems with a 2007 Silverado....2 major safety problems which made me buy a:::

TOYOTA

Just had to do it...:D
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

I have and always will drive GM if they make it thur all this. But most of the time problems with Chevy & GMC 4 wheel drive problems come from not using it. You have to engage it ever so often to keep it all lubed up. I have owned a lot of them with no problems, just to need to engege the 4 wheel drive about once a month to keep it working. Just my 2 cents.
    Alan
    ------------------
    Tight Lines to all
    Roll Tide Roll

Post Thanks / Like

Default depends

I have an 1989 chevy and they used a heated actuator to engauge the 4 wheel on the front axle. Basically its heats up and cause a plunger to push a lever in the fron axle. Ive replace mine two times. It can be annoying when and if it quits on you. It would have been nice to have a manual backup so if it fails craw under ,flip lever and go. Thearetically you could have a plug machined so if it fails, just unscrew the actuator screw in the plug and your in 4 wheel. My chevy never wants to shift while running, ive had the transfer case removed and checked, still doenst work right. I turn off the truck and try to let of roll slightly as i **** it then restart and go.
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Post Thanks / Like

fisherman wantabe i think is on the money here. I dont know anything about it, however a mechanic told me one time that you had to use the 4 wheel drive or engage it ever so often or it would not work right.

Post Thanks / Like

if it leaks and still doesnt work it should be under warranty!!!!
    jmho! remember in these days and times people are trying to retain their customer base!!!!

YZ
    If ya catch a biggun' release her so I can catch her too!

Post Thanks / Like

Use it or loose it as the old saying goes. It is like the AC on your vehicle. It should be run once a month to keep everything lubed up and working. It may sound funny but up here in the north country we need to run the AC at least a couple times in the winter to keep it working properly, even with a foot or two of snow on the ground and 0 temp outside.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast