Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jordan night fishing Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jordan night fishing Question

I am going on almost a full year of crappie fishing experience now which includes maybe 10 outings. However now that the wedding is done the job is pretty repetitive and I have everything I need i am going to increase that this year. My question is when does the night fishing at Jordan really turn on? I went several time to ebenezer last fall and had blotched success. I really enjoy getting out there in the evenings. Night fishing just accommodates my schedule more than weekday day fishing. Thanks for all the help from everyone this year on crappie.com..

Post Thanks / Like

I started night fishing for crappie on Jordan back in the early '90's. I would usually start fishing after the spawn when they went deep. Some nights we could just about fill up a cooler because there were no limits back then. The past few years have not been near as good for me at night. Our old spot that produced so many fish for a number of years has fizzed out. Also, my fishing partner is my father and he has to drive from Graham down to Jordan, so staying out to 2:00 AM is tougher on both of us then it used to be. This is the first year that I have seriously fished during the winter months and have enjoyed it. I can put up with the cold air much better than all those bugs during night fishing.

I would think that night fishing would be as good right now as in the summer. Just as the cold water has pushed them deep right now, the warm water in summer sends them deep as well. Let's see what other individuals have to say.

Post Thanks / Like

Biggy,
    Night fishing is a year round opportunity. If you can stand the weather, you can probably catch fish. Just keep your lights above your bait and don't lay your pole down. Don't forget toput a bait out at the edge of the lighted area. That is often where the big guys lurk. If you are jigging, use blue and silver and impart a little action to keep the jig alive. Don't limit yourself to the bridges.

Post Thanks / Like

Chief said it well--"don't limit yourself to the bridsges". In 20 years of night fishing on Jordan, I have only once tried a bridge. We mostly go down past the S-curves towards the dam. It's always exciting to be running full speed through the S-curves with no spotlight on a moonless night. I've acutually done it so many times that I can navigate the lake at night just as well in day. The only time I had a scary moment was when some knuckle-heads in a pontoon boat were anchored and sleeping in the channel with no lights at all on the boat. I missed then by a few feet, but sure made my heart skip a beat.

Post Thanks / Like

bigascanbe any time you can go at night go,but get you a good topo map of the lake and start looking the creeks and underwater points on the lake that lead into the back of the coves the fish are starting to stack up ,the big females are getting ready to go to the back of the creeks and coves to start spraying eggs ,but go during the day on your first trip to explore to see what kind of obstacles are in the water you expect to fish and check it out before hand ,because unexpected bumps in the night can be costly ,take it from someone who knows how it feels to be running across the lake on a moonlit night and you hit a floating log running wide open and bust a $2,000.00 lower unit and bust your nose open on the center console.
    may god send you calm sea,s and southwest winds

Post Thanks / Like

Does anybody fish in the timber at night anymore? A friend at work said he used to fish in the timber behind the Ebenezer bridge in the mid-late 80s before there was a limit and used to catch a couple hundred fish a night.

Post Thanks / Like

I fished in the timber up near Farrington last year and have fished the timber up Beaver Creek from Ebenezer. Mostly caught small ones and probably not going back. If I fish at night any this summer, I will move around and look for some new areas.

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder if it would be any more effective if we got about 4 boats and tied off end to end (in a square, or "circle" if more boats) and dropped lights between them in the middle? Just a thought.
    Mike

Take a kid outdoors!

Post Thanks / Like

I am ready...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikefish View Post
    Wonder if it would be any more effective if we got about 4 boats and tied off end to end (in a square, or "circle" if more boats) and dropped lights between them in the middle? Just a thought.
    Mike

Take a kid outdoors!
    Honestly, I wouldn't be opposed to trying something like this if everyone's setup was like mine but I have a friend who lives down the road from me and has a place on High Rock. He keeps his Carolina Skiff there during warm weather. A couple of times, I have taken my boat and met him in his boat on the lake and we have never caught many fish. Could be it just wasn't our night, but considering how many fish we have caught just us in 1 boat, it makes me wonder if it has something to do with 2 boats close together. I wouldn't say don't try it, but if I had to decide I would spread out a little bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast