Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cane poles?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cane poles?

How many of you grew up fishin with them? I know I'm not an oldster (31) on here but I grew up rather poor. My mother taught me to fish with a canepole and night crawlers. My dad got into crappie fishin much later with an older relative and they only use big canepoles with nylon twine and floats. It works for them mainly because they only fish the spawn back it the buckbrush. I like tightline techniques and to fish a float in deeper water. I really look forward to the spawn each year to spend some special time with dad and the ole' canepoles!
    Was that a bite? Forgot what they feel like!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishmannyj View Post
    How many of you grew up fishin with them? I know I'm not an oldster (31) on here but I grew up rather poor. My mother taught me to fish with a canepole and night crawlers. My dad got into crappie fishin much later with an older relative and they only use big canepoles with nylon twine and floats. It works for them mainly because they only fish the spawn back it the buckbrush. I like tightline techniques and to fish a float in deeper water. I really look forward to the spawn each year to spend some special time with dad and the ole' canepoles!
    Well fishmannyj, I'm a little older than you, but not as old as many on here. I can relate to "grew up rather poor", and proud of it. As for the cane pole, that's all I knew from the time daddy took me at about five, on until about 14 or 15, when I got a "two piece" cane pole for my birthday from "Otasco". I was in heaven.....I thought. Them were "the" good days that will never come back around. If my daddy were to come back from Beulah Land, he'd whoop my butt when he saw me with a bunch of graphite poles spread out across the front of my boat Just had to chime.......Thanks for posting.
    If I Ain't Crappie Fishin', I'm Thinkin' About It............

Post Thanks / Like

Guess you'll just have to give up all them graphite poles and not make your Dad all mad!!!!

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    Guess you'll just have to give up all them graphite poles and not make your Dad all mad!!!!

Fatman
    Im just learnin these differnt techniques myself. I have 1 12ft gaphite and 1 10ft fiberglass crappie pole. Last week I took dad to Okane ( a creek of the Ark. River) it hard to explain "dobbing" in the brush just wasnt going to work that day. I plan on doing a bit more scouting before I drag him out next. I really appriciate this site for my further crappie education.
    Was that a bite? Forgot what they feel like!

Post Thanks / Like

I go back to where a cane pole was uptown. Caught my first fish on a stick and a string. The string was the old black nylon. it muist have been rated for 20 to 30 lbs. It was used for everything. Catfish , pan fish , trotlines . That was the line to use. We use to spend our summer days in the woods talking trash and fishing. We dug our worms, used wasp nest for bait. We even shot birds with BB guns and used bird parts for bait. We fished on small creeks that most places you could see the bottom. When you found a hole you might catch a catfish. When we got older and our parents built a camp on the Hooch, we thought that we had died an gone to heaven. We got that plywood boat and a 7.5 hp Elgin motor. We were meat fishermen. Nothing went to waste. I have recently had my first rods fefinished with new reel seats , cork handles, and new eyes. They are over 52 years old and look like new. I am afraid to use them. I gave them to JusFshn and he is afraid to take them home. He wants me to break them. Eventually I did go to heaven in that old fish camp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

well im only 31 years old and remember using cane poles to catch bluegill from a farm pond.my dad would take me out in the morning to catch red worms under straw or hay and then take me fishing.that was great times

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thus my name........
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

The best red wiglers came from under the cow pies. Dont bite you finger nails after.

Post Thanks / Like

CP, I kinda figured that out .

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by foul hook View Post
    The best red wiglers came from under the cow pies. Dont bite you finger nails after.
    best worms = Chicken house.......no finger lickin''':p
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast