Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Weather for Tournaments. Tourney teams vs the everyday fisherman

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Weather for Tournaments. Tourney teams vs the everyday fisherman

Weather is one of the variables that make tournaments a challenge. Any of us can hit the lake when the weather is right and catch us a mess of fish. Those that fish regular on the tourney circuit have to produce in any weather. Add that to the fact that they only fish some lakes for the tourney the first time or once a year. Plus like Jamie Moore pointed out in the GON article, Tourney teams are looking for the 7 biggest fish in the lake. Any crappie won't keep them happy.
    I have a great degree of respect for these teams that can find and catch big crappie in any weather on any lake. They might not win each week but they can be sure they will be on the leader board. Teams with more time on the water do have an advantage. We would all like to have the tourney on our favorite lake. I wish Crappiemasters or Cusa could come to Harding:D GaSlabmasters...hint hint
    The weather is going to be a big factor in the Valentine day tourney on Oconee. Not just the weather Saturday but this warm up with 3 back to back to back fronts moving thru the area. the winds will be from 3 different directions all week and blowing strong. That will be moving that water on top to different parts of the lake..
    I expect to catch 7 good crappie saturday, whatever the weather might be but the team with the best idea of what the crappie have done on this lake in these past conditions will be the top teams. I have only fished 3 major tourneys and never made it in the top 20:rolleyes: But I have learned at each one. Not just tourney fishing but things that help me when guiding on my home lake or just fishing different lakes with all the great friends I have met here on Ga Crappie.com and Slabfest.

Good luck yall from crappie.com. I think we will meet a few of those pro teams. Hope yall can whupp em.. Just take it easy on Foulhook and TheCrappieGuy!
    Last edited by FalconSmitty; 02-11-2009 at 02:57 PM.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

I have fished Oconee in a lot of conditions. Still trying to learn the lake and have a long way to go. I do feel good about this tournament. I won't go so far as saying how I think I will place (that can come back and haunt you), but based on past experience I am going to give it a good run for my money. Who knows, I may not catch any fish, but will have a lot of fun trying. I am just excited to be a participant. I have developed a game plan based on the little I have learned about this lake. I need to have the courage to stick to that plan and not make "knee jerk" last minute adjustments. I think the rain will be helpful. I do not want a bright sunshiney day. I am working on getting the wife's mindset right. If she has no problem dealing with the rain then it will make my part of this much easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly Smitty, what's happening above the water is our problem and what's happening below is the fish's problem and come tournament time I'm not worried about what's happening above the water, there are ways to over come that. I quit saying a long long time ago that they aren't biting on a certain lake, when I don't catch any. It tickles me when people say that and then I get a call from someone on the same lake ,same day that caught a limit of slabs.

Post Thanks / Like

I have fished some touch conditions and thought I was pretty tough until I get the reports from ohio. Those old boys are catching fish in unbelievable weather. today they are running around looking for water. i dont feel bad fishing in a little rain. All that i have to say is that the rest of you are fishing for second place. Smitty and I have already spent first place.