Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water pump impeller.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Water pump impeller.

Doe's anyone change theirs on a PM type schedule? Or do you just wait until it stops pumping water and you are left stranded. I have been left stranded twice in all my 30yrs or so of boating. My motor is 4yrs old now and I was thinking of replacing it just to be safe. Your thoughts?

Thanks,STEVE
    BamaFan

There are two things to aim for in life: First, to get what you want; and after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieves the second. Author unknown, but I like it!

Indian Rocks Beach, Florida, United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Just replaced mine after signs of a weak stream. I think it had been about 4 tears since it had been replaced.
    You can't finish what you don't start

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I replace mine every 2 or 3 years. I consider that cheap insurance.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

At 4 years, I think you would be smart to change it. I've seen recommendations of changing every 2 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Just changed mine because the stream seemed a little weak. Really not much to it. Bought the kit online and did it myself. Like IBNFSHN said, cheap insurance. The water pump and lower unit lube are two of my main concerns when it comes to outboards. Billy

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I would change every two years. Thats just my thoughts on it. Really cheap insurance as ibnfshn said.

All outboards are a little different. The older inline mercs needed to be changed every year. I've seen others just seem to last and last.

I like the sierra kits myself...they are really good kits.

I would buy the "kit" and not just the impellor if you had never done it before. Get the housing and all. That way you know its all new and good. Normally you can put the new insert in the old housing...but I've seen lots you can't get the insert out of and end up messing something up. Then you end up having to buy the housing anyways....and you have down time.

I like every two years. Also good time to lube driveshaft splines, clean out any carbon accumulations from the exhaust housing.
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

Post Thanks / Like

Another good thing about getting the whole kit is that you get all the little gaskets too. My last water pump impeller failure actually turned out to be a gasket blowout. The impeller was in good condition.
    Also, a word of advice, one way to prolong the life of you impeller is to never start your motor without a water supply. Bad stuff there.

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

One little tip...when you put it all together...put liquid hand soap all over everything. When you put the impellor on the key...put soap all over it...when you push the upper housing down on the impellor twist the drive shaft as you go down...the soap makes it slick and makes it much easier to do...will also keep the housing from popping back off the impellor.

After you get it all together..pour some water in it and turn the driveshaft in the same direction the motor would turn it. If all is well...you'll see bubbles get pushed up the output tube.

Hand soap is a water pumps friend...as said above...NEVER crank dry...hand soap will also help the pump be slick on initial start up.
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

Post Thanks / Like

Default At Least Every 5 Years

Been Changing My Every 5 Years, On A 150 Merc, I Also Removed The Oil Injection System And Mix My Own Oil...... Don't Trust Them Alarms.......
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by olesilverside View Post
    Been Changing My Every 5 Years, On A 150 Merc, I Also Removed The Oil Injection System And Mix My Own Oil...... Don't Trust Them Alarms.......
    Me too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast