Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holy crappie nibbles............

Post Thanks / Like

Default Holy crappie nibbles............

Well, next time I buy these Crappie nibbles, it will be in case lot. Thanks to all those that share their stories and what they use - I would have never tried these things on my own.

I spent 3.5 hours Sunday morning fishing my home lake, just to "try" these nibbles - wow! Making a long story short, I ended up boating two 12" walleyes, four yellow perch, and over 60 white crappie between 5:00am and 8:25am. I had a blast to say the very least :D ! Started with a 1/32 oz black jighead/green 1" twister body and a silver nibble. The spot was a blowdown that laid out into 21ft. of water, limbs everywhere - perfect spot for spring crappie. This spot always holds smaller fish throughout the summer.
    Anyway, I had switched up body colors from green, orange, black, chart., chart./silver glitter, yellow, and finally white - all 1" twister bodies. The jigheads went from black, red, blue, purple, brown, white, white/red. It's when I put together a red jighead, white body, red glitter nibble that the fun started. I was casting toward the base of this blowdown and giving it a seven second count before I started a retrieve back to the boat. The first 10 casts with this jig/nibble combo put 10 9" white crappie in the boat. I couldn't even start retrieving some casts before they hit (sucking it in on the fall). This was a perfect time to see if the nibbles had anything to do with it. I spent the next dozen casts fishing the same jig, same way only without a nibble - nothing, not even a hit. Put a nibble on, and fish on!

I only had a chance to fish two blowdowns, about 70 yards from each other, but I'm convinced. Didn't manage to put anything in the boat over 9.5", ended up bringing 4 crappie and one bluegill home for supper tonight. This went against my slot of 10-12" that I try to limit my keepers with - but these 9.5" are going to make a nice meal, and I only kept what I can eat (sounds like I'm trying to justify something.......)

I don't think I would have bought it on my own, but it will have a spot in my tackle box from now on. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear your good fortune I too always keep them in my box . I fished behind two
    guys one day and couldn't do no wrong these two guys weren't even getting bit
    I gave them some nibbles and they ended up catching their limit. It does make a difference.
    GOT BITE? -----~<*)###>{

whiplash Guest

Question nibbles

Quote Originally Posted by 1weezer
    I go through around 45 cases of nibbles a year. I can tell you that they work better than minnows most of the time. Also try the trout nibbles. They are a little bigger, they stay on the hook a little longer, and they float. Plus you can get them in orange.
    I,ve been using them with great results <> but how do you keep them on a jig? lots of times my will come off on the first dip
    whiplash

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey Richard

How in the heck do you keep your boat so clean when you are using 45 cases of Crappie Nibbles? LOL

How much do those things cost per case? I wonder how much we all could save by buying them by the case instead of by the jar. How many jars in a case?

Sorry for all the questions.

I wonder if Jerry buys his nibbles by the case also?

I go through around 45 cases of nibbles a year. I can tell you that they work better than minnows most of the time. Also try the trout nibbles. They are a little bigger, they stay on the hook a little longer, and they float. Plus you can get them in orange.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Good thing i own a commercial pressure washer because in the past i have stated that they will stain the crap out of boat carpet, my shorts, my face, my ears, my forehead and anything else they happen to touch. :p

Post Thanks / Like

You also might want to try waxworms. They are also better than minnows at times. You can get them from Grubco Bait co. in Hamilton OH. The number there is 1-800-222-3563.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any trouble keeping them cleaned out of my boat. A car wash works wonders. Big thing is, don't step on them when they on the floor. You can also put a wax worm right on the top of the nibbles for an extra shot of sent.
    I really don't know how much a case cost. I am sponsored by them and get mine by the case straight from Berkley. I'm sure that if you go to your walmart store, they will work out a deal with you.
    Hope this helps.
    1weezer

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am
    How in the heck do you keep your boat so clean when you are using 45 cases of Crappie Nibbles? LOL

How much do those things cost per case? I wonder how much we all could save by buying them by the case instead of by the jar. How many jars in a case?

Sorry for all the questions.

I wonder if Jerry buys his nibbles by the case also?
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Staying on the hook

Let the nibbles dry out a little and they'll stay on the hook better. Idon't like messing with them much, but Doug uses nibbles a lot and also pegs them in front of a waxie. I'll try to find some of the trout nibbles before trout release this fall since those ought to be neater than usign the trout dough. Talk about messy!

BTW - you can also get waxies from Grubco by going to their website at: http://www.grubco.com or email them at: [email protected] If you fish for things other than crappie, I suggest one of the sampler packs.
    They ship the first part of the week only so their baits don't die on a loading dock somewhere over a weekend. It's a good company. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Being the new user that I am, I didn't have any issues with the mess you talk of. The glitter was my only issue, but that was kept under control with a wet terry cloth that I would wipe my fingers on after putting a nibble on. As far as staying on the hook, I didn't have any issues at all with that. the only time I needed to put another one on was when I'd boat a fish, or missed a hit. Even had two fish that I was able to remove the jig/nibble combo from in one piece, and cast again for another fish. It says on the jar to protect from excessive heat (130 degrees); The two jars I bought sat in my truck for about 4 hours, maybe the heat began to dry them out and made them more ridgid?
    I did find that you can't squeeze them though. Remember the one I looked at when I first bought them? Well, that one I couldn't get to stay on the hook right, almost as if by me squeezing it made it tear through easy. I ended up sitting the lid from the jar on my console with about 7-10 nibbles in it. All I had to do was reach over and pick one up, no mess, no fuss, no problems.

Anyone ever had their maggots(from Grubco) develop into those huge black flies? I get 2000 maggots each spring to feed my bluegills and fish with;one year I forgot about a bag I had left, and when I found it in the summer the maggots had hatched.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks Richard

I may order some of those wax worms to feed my pet fish.

I don't have any trouble keeping them cleaned out of my boat. A car wash works wonders. Big thing is, don't step on them when they on the floor. You can also put a wax worm right on the top of the nibbles for an extra shot of sent.
    I really don't know how much a case cost. I am sponsored by them and get mine by the case straight from Berkley. I'm sure that if you go to your walmart store, they will work out a deal with you.
    Hope this helps.
    1weezer
    Regards,

Moose1am

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast