Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need some Info on Restoration of Vintage Fire Engine

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need some Info on Restoration of Vintage Fire Engine

Hey folks, I need some help. We, The Paducah Volunteer Fire Dept., just got a visit from some Wichita Falls Fire Dept. folks and while they were here, they wanted to see our Fire Truck that we have at the City/County Museum. When they saw it, they said that it was one of only 5 of that kind built. It is a 1927 or 1928 (sorry, cant remember) Southern. It is and Engine, not a grass rig. It is built by Southern Fire Apparatus. Since we found this out, we have decided to get it under lock and key and possibly restore it. Our County and City both do not have a lot of money so I am wondering if any of you folks know of any Grants out there that are for restoring antique Fire Apparatus.
    Soldiers and Firefighters. Some people were meant to call 911, Some were meant to BE 911

Post Thanks / Like

I highly doubt that you will be able to get a grant to restore a "vintage" apparatus. The grants are for training and equipping firefighters with the tools to do the job, not for (excuse me for being blunt) building a museum piece. If your Dept. is anything like ours here, you probably have plenty of hands and experience to get the job done with the labor. The money to buy the materials would need to come from fundraisers. Don't get discouraged, it could be done, but may take years to do. Remember to take care of your equipment and training first and foremost then think about the restoration.
    TinBoats.net
    The original aluminum boat fishing club!

Post Thanks / Like

This would be concidered a pork barrel project and not in the countries interest at this time, for all who are complaining about the pork in the budget. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

As foul mood77 said your best bet would be to have fund raisers.... We use to have fish frys - car wash- pancake breakfast- and so. Also i,m sure you have guys in your dept. with diffrent talents if you do it all yourself you,ll feel a lot better about your project. Good luck with your project.

Post Thanks / Like

some trade schools with auto body repair take on projects for local departments. for expereince you might check into that