Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A good place to get my kids catchin' slabs

jackster Guest

Default A good place to get my kids catchin' slabs

I am new to the KCMO area. Moved here last fall from SE TExas (Beaumont). I live in Oak Grove now. I have a boat w/ a 25 hp motor. I am looking for a good place in the KCMO area to take my 7 yr old son crappie fishing this spring and summer. Any hints on where to start? When is the crappie spawn here? Starts in late February / early March back home. BTW, what about the white bass spawn?

Speck is online now MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the Missouri board. Crappie here usually spawn early to mid April. I can't help you much with K.C. area fishing but there are several on here who can.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

welcome to Missouri,,there are several members who live in the KC area,,iam sure they will chime in with some help,,also you can log on to the Missouri Dept. of Conversation web site and they have some lake maps posted with brush placement locations in that area,,good luck
    IT'S 5--O-CLOCK SOMEWHERE,,,MIKE-p

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome the board, Jackster, and to KC. I live up in Kearney so hit Smithville most often. It isn't bad but the spawn was off a bit last year.

Closer to home would be Blue Springs Lake and Jacomo. I haven't fished Jacomo in a few years. Been wanting to get back out there but I do better at Smithville and it's closer, so...I don't know...maybe it's bounced back in the past couple years. Don't hear much about it on this board, anyway.

If you head east about 20 miles there's a small lake called Mapleleaf. I've only fished it once but did pretty good. Heard lots of good things about it. It's supposed to be all no wake, but I don't think it's all electric-only or 10hp max or anything... Not sure how strictly enforced that is, though, cuz the day we were out there somebody was...I don't know...taking their boat for a test drive or something...racing up and down the dam. He got a lot of dirty looks but that's about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, jackster. Looks like Joedog gave you some good info. Baller, KCMO and Cook (among others) can probably chime in with some KC-area info for you, too. Good luck!
    - LOZcrappie (Scott)

I would not exchange my leisure hours for all the wealth in the world. --Comte de Mirabeau (1749-1791)

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Jackster. Not sure on the KC side of the state. Good Luck!!

Post Thanks / Like

welcome to the board and If you need advice on where to fish ask the K.C. bunch if you want advice on how to catch best ask the TRUMAN LAKE bunch. later and good luck with the younguns

jackster Guest

Thanks for the advice. I am looking forward to doing some fishing when it warms up. I wonder if I kept my outboard out of the water on Mapleleaf and relyed on my trolling motor to get around, would that get me a ticket? My boat is still in Texas right now at my dad's house (he's bringing up for me next time they come visit in March). In the mean time, where is a good place to do some bank or dock fishing this time of year (after the ice melts)?

Post Thanks / Like

You can run your gas motor on Maple Leaf. It's NO WAKE.......not TM ONLY.
    Welcome to the board from Knob Noster. There are lots of city lakes around too. Lone Jack, Concordia, Blue Springs, etc, etc. Some charge a small fee. Good luck.
    Bob

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Jackster from Springfield.
    I just KNOW it was a big one!!!
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast