Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1989 - 25hp mercury ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1989 - 25hp mercury ?

I just bought it (came on crappie boat)and was told it hardly had 50 hours on it as it sat in shed most of the time never had time to use it. Looks new, I did not have chance to even run it. The owner just put new water pump in and changed foot oil(shop did work). What are your thoughts is it a keeper or should I just go and buy a new motor and not even fool with a 20 year old motor?
    The boat was in great shape and it is what I really wanted. bass tracker panfish 16.

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Those were great engines. I think I would've had him start it but I bet she's ok. I would fool with it. lol. Pull the plugs and squirt some 2stroke oil in each piston...leave it there for a day or so. Drain the gas from the carb...put fresh gas to it...put the muffs on here and fire her up.

Make sure she's pumping water.

Check out this thread on waking up that old girl.

Awakening a sleeping outboard; by BoatBuoy - iboats Boating Forums

Let us know how she does!!!
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Scrapper is right. Those are good motors. However the merc props used on them leaves a lot to be desired. For some reason my prop man can't even tell me, they like to spin the hub. Actually he just said it was the design. Just keep a spare on board and go fishin.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flatwater View Post
    I just bought it (came on crappie boat)and was told it hardly had 50 hours on it as it sat in shed most of the time never had time to use it. Looks new, I did not have chance to even run it. The owner just put new water pump in and changed foot oil(shop did work). What are your thoughts is it a keeper or should I just go and buy a new motor and not even fool with a 20 year old motor?
    The boat was in great shape and it is what I really wanted. bass tracker panfish 16.
    it aint worth anything ship it to me for parts , i will give ya 75 bucks . just kidding man dont get a new motor.i have a 7.5 johnson that is still going 1957. never worked on it but 1 time 5 dollar head gasket

Post Thanks / Like

Look it over to see if the wires and hoses are dry rotted. If they are, then I'd personally go buy one in better shape, rather than fix the motor.

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree...check the wiring...should be okay though...the older mercs were the ones that had bad wiring...and it was BAD!!

I saw someone post on another forum about this...and you should check if for sure...dirt dauber, wasp, beetles, mice...anything else that might get in there. They will get in all kinds of places. Run a piece of weedeater line up into the pee hole...probably a dirt dauber next in there...and they WILL plug that little guy up! If you have stuff in there blow it out with compressed air...then clean...if you clean with carb cleaner or degreaser first it will make a mess. Cover carb intake with tape or plastic.
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

Post Thanks / Like

I had a 70 H.P. Mercury that was a 1988 lasted 20 years until finally the power head went.Had a lot of hours on that motor You should be alright.Is this motor oil injected?

Post Thanks / Like

Default I would run the heck out of it

that motor has a lot of catching up to do. My Johnson 50th anniversary 25 hp does a good job with a little TLC now and then. I think mine is a 71 model, same as me

Post Thanks / Like

Default prop

Funny someone should mention the prop, I removed it and was debating whether to have it repaired or to buy a new one. $45 to repair, $64 for new aluminum one and $140 for stainless steel. Kind of hard to decide as I do not know the rpm of the existing prop on this boat. I assume it came with the tracker and assume they would size the pitch proper. Here in Southeast Virginia I hit a lot of stumps/logs, as most of our water is swampy.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be careful using a stainless prop if you have lots of underwater obstructions. There's a good chance you could bend your prop shaft as the stainless doesn't give. Do a search on piranha propellers, they are composite and have replaceable blades.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast