Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very Important Meeting

Post Thanks / Like

Default Very Important Meeting

THE KDFW WILL BE HOLDING A MEETING ABOUT THE FUTURE OF CRAPPIE FISHING ON KENTUCKY AND BARKLEY LAKES. PLEASE ATTEND AND SHOW YOUR SUPPORT. HERE IS THE MEETING SCHEDULE . THANKS ><))))*>

As per our discussion today, we (Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources) will be having a meeting open to the public on February 3rd (Tuesday). The location will be Miss Scarlett’s Restaurant in Grand Rivers, KY. The restaurant is located at exit 31 on Interstate 24. The meeting will start at 6:30 p.m. and be concluded by 9:00 p.m. This meeting is being held to discuss the crappie fisheries in Lake Barkley and Kentucky Lake. A recent request by the Kentucky League of Sportsmen had asked the Department to address a few issues on these lakes regarding crappie. The agenda would include a presentation of the Departments data regarding these fisheries, a discussion of closing off embayments to protect spawning fish and other potential management options.
    Last edited by ifish; 01-26-2009 at 08:41 PM.
    Life is Good !
    2018 Kentucky & Tennessee Crappie Masters State Champs!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info Fish.
    The heavens declare the glory of God and the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Psalm 19:1

BIGBADDAD is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

What is the general consensus on this forum. For or against closing off some bays.....changing limits.....let me know, I'll be at the meeting!
    http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac178/BIGBADDAD/birdpooavatar.gif

www.kicknbass.net

Arkie Jigs Prostaff
    Todd Huckabee Rods Prostaff
    HiTec Outdoors Prostaff
    ESB Prostaff
    SteelShad Prostaff
    Jenko Fishing Prostaff

Post Thanks / Like

The league of Ky. sportsmen are pretty much the Sierra Club lite. These guys lobby KDFW, that's what they do. I don't know this as fact but I would say they had alot to do with lowering the limit. These guys obviously don't know how to catch crappie because the twin lakes are in good shape as far as my fishing logs are concerned. If they close off the backs of some bays for fishing to protect the crappie they need to shut down bass fishing while they are bedding as well. They should probably lobby KDFW to outlaw catching gills off the beds because the bluegill really don't have a chance. I will do what I usually do and stick my fish in early March. We should be afraid of The League of Ky. sportsmen

Post Thanks / Like

If the real culprit is the fluctuating water levels and the lack of cover, then it won't do much good to close the bays. However, logic rarely pervails and emotions will rule the day. I think the whole thing should be left to the biologist, and all options considered.

If they were to close some bays, I hope they have the good sense to change which bays are closed every year or 2 so the entire lake gets a boost (if it's successful in generating more fish)and everyone has a chance to fish his or her favorite spots. It would seem, that if only the same few bays were closed every year, someone would figure out that they should concertrate their efforts there as soon as the restrictions were lifted. I know those bays would concentrate my efforts. Putting even more than normal preasure on those spots and fish as soon as the restriction lifted. Does it ultimatly matter if the fish is removed at this years spawn or before next years spawn. After all that protected fish did (attempt to) spawn LAST year.

I have heard of similar problems at other older lakes showing declines in fish populations and they started doing supplimental stockings to boost the fish population. I would think that trying to stock Ky Lake would be like trying to warm the ocean by peeing in it.

Weiss in Alabama has a yearly stocking program I believe. Even there, after a few years of terrible spawns, everyone was crying the lake was all fished out. After a few good spawns, the lake is back at it's glory. Nobody protected any sacred ground, nobody added any more cover and the stocking program was the same as it has been for years, but the fish enjoyed a few good spawns. Maybe, the biologist are right and there has just been a few bad spawning years!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation The consensus, so far ...

is in this thread : http://www.crappie.com/crappie/kentu...-future-2.html

Bad spawning years are usually weather related, and/or water level related. Only if TVA is going to control the water level during the restriction time period, is there going to be any chance of a positive effect of those restrictions ... and that ain't very likely.
    The creel has just been dropped to 20/day/person, and they don't even know what effect that's going to have, overall.
    KDFWR has also "defined" the Possession Limit law, and it now states that you may "posses" a daily limit, per person, times the number of consecutive days fished .. as long as the fish are cleaned. The old ruling of no more than two days creel limit in possession, after two or more consecutive days of fishing, is null and void.

All things considered -- I agree with the 20/day & Possession Limit rule changes. The "backs of some bays during spawn restrictions", IMHO ... is a mute point, unless it's done in partnership with TVA holding the water levels stable during the timeframe. AND .... we all have to bare in mind, that even if this is done ... and it's successful ... it'll be 3yrs before we will know or benefit from that success. That's just my opinion, for what it's worth, coming from someone whom no longer fishes either of those lakes.

It should be an interesting meeting ... and I hope that any Crappie.com member that attends, will give a full report on it. And, please .. if you attend and represent Crappie.com (in any of your statements) ... I'd appreciate it if you would conduct yourself in as professional & dignified a manner as possible. That will not only get you positive recognition, but will also reflect favorably on Crappie.com as a voice to be heard & considered.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Sure wish they were having it on a night other than Tuesday. I'd love to attend the meeting, but I'd have to burn a day off to do so. I'm trying to build my time up for when the fishing get's good.

Post Thanks / Like

We need some normal (if there is such a thing) water levels and some stable temps and the crappie will take care of the problem naturally as they are prolific spawners and can produce up to 200,000 eggs p/ fish. All we need are a couple good spawns and closing off bays for spawning crappie won't do squat. There is such a thing as "going overboard" when it comes to regulations.....Kentucky and Barkley are HUGE and a couple bays closed off seems a little silly to me and might really hurt guys that don't have boats big enough to run around the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

does anyone know if this meeting has been canceled because of the ice storm?
    most of that area has no power.
    thanks for any info.
    Yodibuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Question How bout the meeting

Well did they have it or reschedual it? If they had it what went on? I'm home now would love to attend if possible.
    Last edited by Wiskers; 02-09-2009 at 08:02 PM.
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast