Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Corps Establishes ‘commercial Zones’ At Marinas

Post Thanks / Like

Default Corps Establishes ‘commercial Zones’ At Marinas

CORPS ESTABLISHES ‘COMMERCIAL ZONES’ AT MARINAS

LITTLE ROCK, Ark., Sept. 26 – In the interest of public safety and the security of visitor property, the Little Rock District of the Army Corps of Engineers has established ‘commercial zones’ around marinas that will restrict recreational activities within 50 feet of all marina docks.

Lakes that fall under the new policy include Beaver, Table Rock, Bull Shoals, Norfork, Clearwater, Greers Ferry, Dardanelle and Millwood. Examples of prohibited activities within these zones are boating, fishing, swimming and diving. Commercial zones are being marked with signs and buoys.

Fishing beneath boat storage docks has created the most difficulties because hooks and lures sometimes damage boats or docks. People like to fish under marina docks because they act as structure that attract fish. One alternative for anglers is to work with local Corps offices to create fish attractors out of discarded Christmas trees or certain other materials. Many fishing clubs have long been involved with the Corps and state fish and game agencies in creating these.

Boaters sometimes obstruct operations around marinas by boating or fishing too close. Swimming or diving around marinas is always unsafe. Keeping recreational activities away from the docks will also help cut down on thefts and improve safety by reducing boat traffic.

Public access to recreation is still guaranteed at Little Rock District lakes. There are more than 256,000 acres, and the commercial zones constitute only about 1 percent of the total lake area.

It is not unusual for the Corps to restrict recreational activities in certain areas if a need exists. For instance, recreational activities are commonly restricted at locks, dams, spillways, powerhouses, swimming areas, and water intakes to help ensure safety and protection of lives and property. The commercial zones have the same intention.

Restrictions at marinas are not new. No fishing zones have been in place since 1986, and commercial zones have been in place since 2007. The new policy formalizes the commercial zones and establishes the means for Corps park rangers and other law enforcement officers to enforce the policy.

The 50-foot buffer will be used whenever possible to provide consistency from marina to marina. However, with a written request to the Corps that demonstrates a special need, a marina operator might be allowed to place some additional restriction on recreational activities that obstruct ingress and egress to marina docks. Posted signs will indicate an extension of the commercial zone.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Duane

My ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead
    divorced and no one to answer to, lets go fishing

Post Thanks / Like

So does that mean people can't even fish off their own boats they have at those facilities?
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

I certainly hope so. Only with their help will the marina owners get the idea that they don't own the lake. I would not keep a boat at one of the marinas that complain about the fishermen. On my home lake, the idiot that runs the marina has his boys throw rocks in the water to disturb you fishing anywhere, even along the riprap, but is more than happy to take my money if I go into the store and buy something. Their goal is a lake full of drunk boaters. If a tournament boat comes in and is idling a little fast, they call for the fish cops, but the guy that bought and keeps a half million dollar floating home rolls in, thats ok. He has that neat little captains hat on.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I'm certainly glad I don't fish Little Rock District lakes. No fishing zones are NOT common, sir, on other district lakes. I'm tellin' ya.

Also, sometime when you don't have anything to do, just cruise in one of those fine marinas and scan the waters around the ends of the slips. You'll see real fast that the "no fishing" is not going to be enforced for the slip renters, usually. And as far as the Corps is concerned in LRD, if fishing is open to the select few (slip renters) then it must be open to the general public as well!! Did you know that???

Crappie10, you must be at Russellville. lol. One of the marina owners was reported for throwing rocks as fishing rigs fishing the marina, a year ago. We sent him a nasty letter and he readily apologized--especially after we reminded him that he was allowed on the water ONLY as a benefit to the general public!!

Praise GOD I don't fish LRD waters. Vicksburg District waters do not have this incumbrance, I can assure you.

aj

Post Thanks / Like

Nope, not there, this happened at Lithia springs on Lake Shelbyville, IL

Post Thanks / Like

So much for your fishing dollars helping to improve fishing at lakes and then telling you where you can or can't fish!!!!! I know one thing though the first time someone chucked a rock in the water where I was fishing legally will be the last rock they throw!!!!!

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

Posted this on the Missouri forum. You must read this article that Swampy put on another site. Amazing how the CORPs handled this whole deal. It will change everything.

The most disturbing results to me that they will allow people who rent slips to fish there. But not the same people who paid taxes to stock the fish in the same water. I see a law suit coming from this soon.

We have not been able to fish docks at Smithville Lake for years, because of these same issues.

Missouri Whitetails - Powered by XMB 1.9.6 Nexus (rc2)

Lee