Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Mayonnaise Jar and 2 Cups of Coffee

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mayonnaise Jar and 2 Cups of Coffee

When things in your life seem almost too much to handle, when 24 hours in a day are not enough, remember the mayonnaise jar and the 2 cups of coffee.

A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, he wordlessly picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.

The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles rolled into the open areas between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.

The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full. The students responded with an unanimous "yes."

The professor then produced two cups of coffee from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar effectively filling the empty space between the sand. The students laughed.

"Now," said the professor as the laughter subsided, "I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The golf balls are the important things---God, your family, your children, your health, your friends and your favorite passions---and if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full.

The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house and your car.

The sand is everything else---the small stuff. "If you put the sand into the jar first," he continued, "there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls. The same goes for life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff you will never have room for the things that are important to you.
    "Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Spend time with your children. Spend time with your parents. Visit with grandparents. Take time to get medical checkups. Take your spouse out to dinner. Fish with a friend. There will always be time to clean the house and fix the disposal. Take care of the golf balls first---the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand."
    One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the coffee represented.. The professor smiled and said, "I'm glad you asked."

The coffee just shows you that no matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for a couple of cups of coffee with a friend."

See ya at Daybreak at the next Slabfest for a good cup.
    Last edited by FalconSmitty; 01-17-2009 at 06:47 PM.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Enough said. AMEN. I'll be waiting on ya my brother.

Post Thanks / Like

good post, I liked it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Smitty. Good to keep things in perspective! Looking forward to Slabfest.
    Slab Masters Tournament Trail ............... www.slabmasterstournamenttrail.net

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Smitty, I needed that tonight. If you're ever in Louisiana, we make a pretty good cup of coffee.

boatstall
    "Hello, My name is Bill, and I'm a tackleholic"

Post Thanks / Like

Nice Post Smitty Makes A Lot Of Sence.
    HERE FISHY FISHY

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

yea it does..i liked it

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Smitty,move to the front of the class with that one.
    CATCH FILLET

Post Thanks / Like

great post smitty
    Got crappie?:D

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the post Smitty really enjoyed it. Hope yall have fun at slabfest will not be at this one I have to stay home and take care of my golf balls I guess you could say (daughters 16th birthday man I am getting old)