Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Watts Bar and ash spill

Post Thanks / Like

Default Watts Bar and ash spill

I know that all crappie fishermen know that Watt Bar in Tn is one of the best crappie lakes in East Tn. It is the lake that the spring fling and fall brawl was held on. The ash spill on the Emory River which is upstream from Watts bar and the clinch river spill 5.4 million cubic yards of coal ash in and around the Emory river, real close to the clinch river. TWRA expects it will have a very bad affect on the fish population. Watts Bar is my favorite crappie lake. Just like some opinions on what some of the fishermen or women think about the effect it will have on Watts Bar. Conner

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know much about the lake or river, but from what I've read it won't be good. Hopefully it will be a small negative impact.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Been watching it on the news, cant be good thats for sure. TWRA shocked some fish and found coal ash on them and inside them. They said its just a matter of time till they start seeing floating fish:c

Post Thanks / Like

Default bar

fished there 30 yrs worried about it also just read the shockn survey from last year on the tenn thread watts bar ranks right up there and the quality of fish is great.saw on the news where vaccum boats were 6-7 miles away in the main channel its no doubt widespread guess we will haft 2 wait and see twra is being very quiet on the deal.friend lives near the dam said white residue is floatn in front of his lake front home.considering a weiss trip in late march instead of the bar as usual.2 weeks ago we caught 21 keepers midlake but figured the affects are yet too come.dave

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Conner, Them WB crappie are to big and tough to let it bother them.
    Really tho, makes a person want to cry doesn't it.
    Hope it has no affect and you and Archie keep slaying them.
    Did you get that 2 seater hooked up?
    Maybe we'll catch you at AH one of these days.
    B&Z

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

TVA..

Can't even abide by their own rules they set for us.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Hey, Conner ....

it's definitely a disturbing fact, that it will have some effect on the fishing at the Bar. Even if it doesn't contaminate the fish, the perception will likely decrease the amount of fishing ... especially from non-locals. Probably be alot like the Cumberland Lake deal, here in KY. Lake was dropped from 50,000 acres, to 30,000 acres, for dam repair work ... and business dropped off by a huge percentage, due to the perception that the lake was "drained" and would not be accessable (by ramp). Nothing could be farther from the truth, but misinformation/misconception has a way of getting started and spread faster than truth.
    I'd appreciate it if you, or any other "local" would keep us informed of any substantiated findings. I really hate to see "the Bar" suffer from this, as it is one of my favorite fishing holes. And, even if I have to C&R any Crappie from there, I may still come down there and fish. I just don't know how long I can afford to keep doing so, knowing the fish are unsafe to eat (if it comes to that).

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Dillution is the sollution :D...........good luck over there guys.