Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Leeches, worth the effort to tie?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Leeches, worth the effort to tie?

I have been seriously thinking about trying to make a realistic leech pattern and an egg sucking leech pattern. Everything I find says that fish all over the country eat leeches.

Is it worth trying to come up with a realistic pattern on a jig? Sure there are hundreds of plastic ones but I have never seen one tied on a jig, not realistic anyway.
    I love taking my kids fishing, now if I could just manage to fish at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fish_4_all View Post
    I have been seriously thinking about trying to make a realistic leech pattern and an egg sucking leech pattern. Everything I find says that fish all over the country eat leeches.

Is it worth trying to come up with a realistic pattern on a jig? Sure there are hundreds of plastic ones but I have never seen one tied on a jig, not realistic anyway.
    Egg sucking leech - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Post Thanks / Like

I think just a Zonker strip tied to the hook makes a pretty good leech.

There was a good "leech pattern for bluegills" discussion over at FAOL awhile back. I'll see if I can dig it up for you.

Here you go:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...ead.php?t=9046
    Last edited by deathb4disco; 01-13-2009 at 05:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I need a picture of a living leech sucking on an egg so I can try and replicate it.

I have hundreds of yarn imitations but I want to see the reel thing so I can try to match it. I have even tried to find it in the lakes around here but never found one sucking on an egg. Seen them around bass and crappie "nests" but never one that took an egg.
    I love taking my kids fishing, now if I could just manage to fish at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Leech

I just use marobu take the marobu tie in the tail twist it couple of times
    and wrap the rest up two the jig head and tie it off. Tha's a quick leech
    pattern. Black marobu

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fish_4_all View Post
    I need a picture of a living leech sucking on an egg so I can try and replicate it.... I have even tried to find it in the lakes around here but never found one sucking on an egg. Seen them around bass and crappie "nests" but never one that took an egg.

Do leeches really suck eggs, or is it just a fishermen's invention? I think it may be the latter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    I think just a Zonker strip tied to the hook makes a pretty good leech.

There was a good "leech pattern for bluegills" discussion over at FAOL awhile back. I'll see if I can dig it up for you.

Here you go:

leeches for bluegills - FAOL BB
    I think they prey on fish eggs. That may be why they are such a good bait the adults may eat them to kill them..

Post Thanks / Like

No, they will eat eggs. The gill leeches we find in salmon here will eat them. Hatcheries will screen fish to make sure that none of them get into the trays off eggs. According to alocal fish biologist they had an entrie spawn on a river tributary wiped out one year here because the water stayed too warm right into the salmon spawn. They could see the bottom moving with millions of them.

Post Thanks / Like

i tie them just like hairjig does and they catch everything
    Yodibuzz