PDA

View Full Version : Posting Pictures - O/T sort of

Jerry Blake
08-18-2004, 04:00 PM
Anybody know of any websites where you can post pictures for free? It's been mentioned here before but I failed to make a note of it (mental or otherwise). :)

If you upload your pictures to a website you can then post your pictures right in your messages here by clicking on the "Insert Image" icon above the area you type your post - it's the square yellow one - and enter the URL for the picture.

The picture is not actually on this website - just code that brings the picture into the message when it is viewed - so it doesn't take up any space here.

Boscoe
08-18-2004, 04:46 PM
I've been using Photobucket.com, pretty easy to use. Yahoo has a free service too.

Moose1am
08-18-2004, 11:37 PM
Anybody know of any websites where you can post pictures for free? It's been mentioned here before but I failed to make a note of it (mental or otherwise). :)

If you upload your pictures to a website you can then post your pictures right in your messages here by clicking on the "Insert Image" icon above the area you type your post - it's the square yellow one - and enter the URL for the picture.

The picture is not actually on this website - just code that brings the picture into the message when it is viewed - so it doesn't take up any space here.

crappiehunter
08-19-2004, 09:20 AM

Jerry,
Thanks, for the tips. I finally got it on the brag board. I'll try under my post next time. crappiehunter

Moose1am
08-19-2004, 09:30 AM
Does anyone use either of these two programs to fool around with your digital photos? I am trying to figure both of these programs out.

Jerry Blake
08-19-2004, 02:58 PM
Nope, I use Polaroid's Photomax Pro and love it. It's easy to use to crop, size, brighten, sharpen or just about anything else you would want to do to a picture.

Cane Pole
08-20-2004, 02:16 PM
Hey Moose

I use Paint Shop Pro 8. It is a powerful tool. I use it to work on coloring maps. I forget how to use it and have to re-train all the time. Attached are samples of what I am doing. I have to plug Kentucky Hydrographics here. They are his maps. I use my laptop in conjuction with my gps to navigate. When I get out of the colored area, It is hard to tel my location on the laptop screen due to glare. Thus, the coloring. It is a slow process. I will tell all how I am doing this if there is interest.

Cane Pole

Cane Pole
08-20-2004, 05:04 PM
Hey Moose

I use Paint Shop Pro 8. It is a powerful tool. I use it to work on coloring maps. I forget how to use it and have to re-train all the time. Attached are samples of what I am doing. I have to plug Kentucky Hydrographics here. They are his maps. I use my laptop in conjuction with my gps to navigate. When I get out of the colored area, It is hard to tel my location on the laptop screen due to glare. Thus, the coloring. It is a slow process. I will tell all how I am doing this if there is interest.

Cane Pole

Forgot to mention that these are before and after pics and really had to compress the heck out of them to post. Went from 3M to 60k files. Lost some quality, but this is just to show n tell.

Moose1am
08-20-2004, 08:29 PM
Very Nice and I am glad that you plugged Kentucky Hydrografx. Pat is a great guy and very knowledgable about making maps etc. He gave me a lot of great tips. I should get a copy of the map that shows the Paris landing Area of Kentucky lake before this November. I wish I had a lap top to use with his maps but am still without a laptop after all these years. I still don't have a cell phone either. I think it would be cool to connect a lap top to the GPS and use it to figure out where the brush piles are lcoated before heading out to the lake. It's not an easy task.

I purchased PPS 8 and now PPS 9 is out. Not sure what version 9 has that 8 didn't. I just picked up a copy of Adobe PhotoShop Elements 2.0 and have yet to install it on the computer. I am afraid that it will fight with PPS8 over who is going to process any pictures that I try to view on my computer.

It looks pretty cool the way you added color to those maps. I understand about having to reduce the size (memory storage amount) of the photos before being able to show then in here. I think that there is a restriction on the memory size of the pictures that can be shown. If not it would take guys with dial up service forever to open the forums.

I am going to be scanning some very detailed topo maps tonight and I store them at huge files for now. Once I get them scanned and stored I can change them to smaller files after I get though processing them. Hopefully this works out.

Forgot to mention that these are before and after pics and really had to compress the heck out of them to post. Went from 3M to 60k files. Lost some quality, but this is just to show n tell.

Moose1am
08-20-2004, 08:30 PM
Have you figured out how to make a panarama yet?

Hey Moose

Cane Pole

Cane Pole
08-22-2004, 09:32 AM
Have you figured out how to make a panarama yet?

I am just beginning to get the painting down pat. I have a bad case of mouse tunnel symdrome. I purchased a Waycom writing tablet, which lets me use a pencil device instead of a mouse, but my wrist is still sore from "mouse abuse". lol I use OzieExplorer. It is a very good tool. I import my maps to Ozie and calibrate them. They turn out pretty accurate. That is about as far as I have progressed with mapmaking. But I am learning. Any input would be helpful.

Cane Pole

Moose1am
08-22-2004, 09:59 AM
I still have not read the manual for OziExplorer yet. I found out about that program from Pat of Kentucky Hydrografx. Another program that I am trying to learn is Corpscom or something like that. It converts different type of coordinates like Indiana Plane Coordinates into UTM or Lat and Longitude units. I need to get these maps of Patoka lake scanned and then spliced together using PPS 9 or now maybe using Adobe PhotoShop. I have not even opened up the CD package for Photoshop Elements 2.0 I did open up the Adobe PSE box to get to the manual. I have way to many manuals to read and still have not finished the PPS manual or the book that I purchased that tells how to use PPS. This is my hangup. These maps are so big that I can't scan a map in one scan. So I have to scan it four times. I get the Top Left section scanned then the Top Right and then the Bottom Left and the Bottom Right section scanned. I have to save each section in PPS 8 format. I can converet the PPS9 files into Gif Files for use with OziExplorer. I am so mad that the maps are not calibrated and marked with Longitude and Latitude Coordinates. If they were marked in L&L numbers I could easily use them in OziExplorer. Now I have to use Corpscom to convert the numbers before I can use them in OziExplorer. I think that OziExplorer requires the files to be in Gif Format to use a three point calibation which is the most accurate type. I could do a two point calibration in OziExplorer using BMP file formats. I am scanning these files at very high resolution 600 dpi right now. I will then trim them down later to 150 dpi to save memory space. But the first scan I want to get as much detail of the original maps as possible. That make the scanning time a bit longer but I think it's worth the effort. I have a 120Gig external USB hard drive that I am using to store the scans.

I wish that someone had already made calibrated accurate maps of Patoka Lake but the Fishing Hot Spot Maps are not that detailed and don't show a lot of the drop offs and the ditches like these high detailed maps of Patoka that I am using. These maps of Patoka are very accurate and highly detailed with 2.5 ft contour intervals in some cases and 5ft contour intervals all around the map. These are accurate 5 ft contours that were developed from Aerial Photographs of the land before the lake was filled. You can't get more detailed that this. It's the type of map that engineers use all the time in Indiana to plan construction activities. It allows for very accruate elevation determination. The horizontal and the vertical elevations are both highly accurate and realistic from what I have read.

I think that all lake maps should be this accurate as with a good GPS it should allow us fishermen to find the spots on the map before we venture out under the sun on the lake and to fish more effeciently.

I am just beginning to get the painting down pat. I have a bad case of mouse tunnel symdrome. I purchased a Waycom writing tablet, which lets me use a pencil device instead of a mouse, but my wrist is still sore from "mouse abuse". lol I use OzieExplorer. It is a very good tool. I import my maps to Ozie and calibrate them. They turn out pretty accurate. That is about as far as I have progressed with mapmaking. But I am learning. Any input would be helpful.

Cane Pole

Cane Pole
08-23-2004, 06:35 PM
Problem I have is the grids are never the same physically (L and L) from one map to the other. There are no standards. With Maptech, you have to operate with the CD installed in your computer. What a bunch of bull and a waste of money. If I want to use Maptech maps (which I bought and paid for), I have to print, scan, calibrate, etc. I swore by Garmin maps for a long time, but same problem here. Nothing compatible. I guess they see us coming!!!

Cane Pole