Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: fuel filter

Post Thanks / Like

Default fuel filter

Has any one installed a water seperatior filter on their boat? Have you noticed any differance in engine performance? With all the e 10 gas, I am worried about ruining my new engine or messing up the carbs. I use Sea Foam but I read that that doesn't do a complete job either.

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lonkm View Post
    Has any one installed a water seperatior filter on their boat? Have you noticed any differance in engine performance? With all the e 10 gas, I am worried about ruining my new engine or messing up the carbs. I use Sea Foam but I read that that doesn't do a complete job either.
    My Yamaha has one built in. I did install an secondary fuel filter. It made the engine starve for fuel sometimes so I removed it.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

MY RANGER WITH A 150 YAMAHA HAS A LARGE SCREW ON FUEL FILTER. I CHANGE IT TWICE A YEAR. IT IS (TO MY THINKING) CHEAP INSURANCE. HELPS KEEP THE WATER OUT OF FUEL SYSTEM THAT COMES FROM CONDENSATION. AN e10 FUEL PROBLEM ??? WITH THE FUEL NOW IN THE STATE OF MISSOURI HAVING e 10 GAS( YOUR RUBBER FUEL LINE, AND PLASTIC MOLDED PARTS THAT ARE A PART OF THE FUEL SYSTEM OF TODAYS OUTBOARD MOTORS) NEED SOME KIND OF FUEL ADDITIVE TO HELP THOSE PARTS FROM DETERIORATING. I USE STABITIZER BLUE... I GUESS TIME WELL TELL IF THIS HELPS?????????
    CRANKBAIT

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I put one in, havent had any problems befor or after. I run Yamaha ring free in my 4 stroke. I also carry a extra filter with me.

Welcome David from Nixa Mo. Glad to have ya on the board.
    Last edited by Just Jiggin; 01-12-2009 at 08:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The Yamaha 10 Micron water/fuel filter kit is easy to install. You have to get the brass fuel nipples in 1/4 inch pipe thread to hook it up. They do not come with the kit. Make sure you put the fuel primer bulb between the filter location and the motor. The E fuel draws moisture from the air into the gas. This is a problem on boats because the fuel system's are vinted. The 10 micron filter does not let water pass. All yamaha's starting in 2007 should have it already installed by the boat builder. It will be located in the battery compartment near the transom. I have been a boat machanic for along time and can tell you this well save a lot of problems to your motor.

Post Thanks / Like

With The Gas Prices Some What Cheaper Than They Were Are Gas Stations Still Selling The E-10,, Seems Like There Was A Mandate That They Only Had To Sell E-10 When It Was Less In Price Than Regular Pump Gas,,may Be Wrong But The Sta.by My House Says He Is Only Selling Regular Gas No E-10 Or E-85
    Maybe Something To Ask About At Your Local Station
    IT'S 5--O-CLOCK SOMEWHERE,,,MIKE-p

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER