Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: zebco recall

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default zebco recall

retired and now i will always fish

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Saw that on CNN ...

back in April. Guess they had to recall them due to the lead based paint ... wouldn't want the kids to "chew" on them and get lead in their systems. It was the right thing to do ... not to mention being the smart thing. It's probably cheaper for them to replace the poles, than settle lawsuits over them.
    Thanks Papa ... for bringing that to the attention of the membership - some of whom may not have seen or heard about the recall. ..........cp

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still seeing these poles in some of the stores, so please warn anyone you know who might be inclined to purchase one.
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Hey Roberta ....

are you sure those aren't the newer "replacement" poles ?? They should have a date code on the rod (near the handle) if they are the newer "no lead" versions. I would think that the stores would have received the recall notice, by now ... and replacement rods should be on the shelf.
    You might want to print out a copy of the "recall" notice, off Papasage's post, and show it to the store managers (in those stores where you find the offending product) ... if, in fact, those rods you are seeing are the recalled product.
    Even though it was a "voluntary" recall by Zebco ... stores, that carry their products, should have removed all the products in question and returned them for replacement. A sign, indicating the products on the shelf are NOT the recalled products, would be a good gesture (and probably a good selling point for the store). Sometimes stores get products thru 3rd party vendors, and may not get the word about recalls ... but, their willingness to comply with such recalls, and/or notice from concerned citizens, would be a good indication of their worthiness to their customer base. ......cp

Post Thanks / Like

I'll take a closer look next time I'm in KMart.

I wonder about the ones I see in little kids' hands when we go past shore fishermen. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

yes ceappiepappay. the 3rd party some time don`t . my soninlaw got a motor 48 hp evinrude was factory specks was to mix gass and oil 100/1and there was a recall that it needed 50/1 . well he didnt know that and a rod went throuigh the side .
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Sorry to hear that Papa ...

hope he got a new motor out of the deal!!
    At a lean 100:1 mixture (1/2 the normal amount of oil, pre-mixed with gas) of regular outboard oil ... I'm not surprised he threw a rod. Just glad no one was injured !! (no one was, were they?) With boo-boos like that, it's no wonder OMC went belly up and had to sell out to Bombadier. (well, that and the Ficht engine design flaws) .......... cp