Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Motor weight?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Motor weight?

First off, dang good section to add to the forum! Question, is there a way to take a model number off a motor to find out what the manufactuers weight is? I have a man interested in my 60hp Mariner, he has come by to hear it run and even ran a compression check. Compression checked out to be around 90lbs per cylinder (that good?). Anyway, because the motor has had about 7 years of "sitting time" we both suspect the rubber in the impeller should be replaced, along with going through the carb with a bit of cleaner and a new set of gaskets. These are minor problems and should be expected of a motor 26 years old. The motor itself still fires up first hit of the starter and sounds pretty good. He is very interested in buying the motor, but is wondering what the weight of it is. He is trying to scale down a bit and thinks it might be a little too heavy for what he needs. He had brought a set of bathroom scales that gave us varied weights, from 204lbs, down to 188lbs.

I'm wondering if there is anyway to track the model to find out it's weight?
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Awakening a sleeping outboard; by BoatBuoy - iboats Boating Forums

The above link is one of the best I've seen on waking up that ol' girl.

I would say that max hp on of the boat is more important than weight. I'd say 200 is a close guess. My 150 V6 is around 450-500. I bet you could google and find the weight somewhere. It would be a generic, but I'm sure there isn't much difference in the 60's...you wouldn't think. Most will run about the same weight. As long as the boat is rated for it, and the transom is in good shape let it go.

Did you compression test warm?? or cold??

If you did cold I would say your in really good shape. If warm I'd say a bit below average. A good decarb is probably in order...the rings will get tight over time sitting like that. Do the test warm and after a decarb and you'll get different results.

The main thing with compression testing is the %difference per cylinder. Any gauge can be 15 to 20lbs different at any given time. You do not want to have over 10% difference in any given cylinder...if they are all with in 85-95 I'd say your great. Most merc/mariners will run close to 100-115 on average...but like I said..if you did it cold and it hadn't been run in a while thats probably most of it. IF they are withing the 10% limit your fine....feel good about it.

You are right on the water pump..I would replace with a kit rather than just an impellor...since it has sat so long.

Make sure you take carbs off and take them apart and soak them...that the only way you can clean a carb well. Just spraying down the throat does nothing but clean the throat and reeds.

Feel free to ask if you have any other questions...sounds like you got a SALE!! :D
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

Post Thanks / Like

The test was done with his gauges with the motor warm. I had already run it for him. Upper cylinder tested about 92, lower around 95. I didn't think it was that bad for and '82 model that's sat so long. You're right, the carb should be taken apart, cleaned properly, and new gaskets installed. You could see a bit of weeping at the gasket on the side of the carb. I don't think the gasket is broken, but more like saturated after being dry for so long.

Even if this guy, really nice guy btw, does not take the motor, I have two others interested in the wings. I am sharing this info with them so they will not have any surprises. It's only fair to them to know what they are buying. All in all, the motor, remote, tank and stainless prop well worth what I have offered it at and a bit of a bargain.

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Your right....that is good. Those older motors just can't be beat in my opinion...but fuel economy stinks...and they are loud...and stink from oil...but there is nothing like 2 stroke oil smell in the morning!! :D Not to mention cheap and easy to work on!

I think it will make anyone a great motor from what you describe. I also think the numbers will go up some after being ran somemore...do a decarb...and the rings loosen back up a bit.

Sounds like your on the right track. You I've said this before...but there is a reason that engine is still around after that many years...somethign was done right! I wonder what some of the etecs and optimaxes will be doing in 25-30 years.
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Dry weight is 195 lbs.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN View Post
    Dry weight is 195 lbs.
    Just curious, how would you know? '82 60 hp Mariner

Post Thanks / Like

If you go to nadaguides.com and find your motor, it's weight is listed at 195 lbs.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Reaper View Post
    Just curious, how would you know? '82 60 hp Mariner
    What Shellback said. Other than maybe the dealer that is the only place I know of that you can get weights of outboards.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Cool, thanks guys.