Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Filter/seperator installation in '02 tracker

Post Thanks / Like

Default Filter/seperator installation in '02 tracker

Since us poor saps up here in the "frozen tundra" as Gabowman calls it, have several months to prepare for the next boat fishing season, I thought it wise to add a filter/seperator to the boat. Went well and I can now sleep better.

There are a number of filter/seperators out there and I'm sure there's better ones than the Sierra model I installed, but my trusted boat shop suggested this one. Only $50 for the kit w/ extra filter, fittings, and fuel rated hose so not too bad a dent in the Doodlers winter fund. What da ya think?

Made me some marker bouys too. Only thing is not sure if 3oz. of weight is enough. Suggestions?

Last edited by yankee doodler; 01-09-2009 at 01:21 PM.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That'll work.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I would run some seafoam in your fuel in the winter. It has some water removers added to it. Just for some peace of mind.

Looks like a really nice install! Love the bouys....Love the idea of using the peice of PVC to give some rigidity. Think I'll be making some soon! You should post plans on building them. I know they are pretty simple, but it would be cool to archive. They are very clean looking. Great job!!
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job!! Been thinking of adding one to my motor.
    Dave

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Nearly all new boats come with them standard now. IMHO I think all boats should have them. With the way fuel is now...and with being in a...well..."boat"...which is on the water everytime its used..lol...the benefits WAY out weighs the cost..and they are simple to install. Just added insurance in my opinion. My Ranger has one from the factory...its an 87 model. I believe thats one reason the engine is still in such good shape. Anything that helps to make your gas more pure and more clean will help your engine..and helps keep carbs clean.

One thing to be sure of is to NEVER under any circumstances use a filter replacement that is an automotive type filter. Always get a marine replacement. If you premix I mean...some of them will filter oil. If it filters the oil you premix...well....you can take if from there. VRO, Oil Injection, Four Stroke...doesn't matter.
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

Post Thanks / Like

Nice installation on the filter. That was may alternate location. I just didn't feel like removing two batteries from my 05 Tracker PC 175 every thime I needed to change it so I installed mine in the corner of the splash well.

Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

how often should you change the fuel/water separator? hopefully never if your gas doesnt have any water in it, right? just wonderin..

Post Thanks / Like

I put one on my 03 tracker about 3 months ago. Been using sea foam for awhile now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lhumphre View Post
    how often should you change the fuel/water separator? hopefully never if your gas doesnt have any water in it, right? just wonderin..
    Good ?, I have been wondering the same thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lhumphre View Post
    The mechanic at the shop where I bought it says they change them every fall up here when people winterize ( I hate that term) their boats.

I have been running an additive, and I can't think of the name, but it's not seafoam or marine stabil. Again, it was recommended by the boat shop.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast