PDA

View Full Version : Question on High Vis

fingerlicken
01-08-2009, 11:24 AM
I want to no how many of you use high vis in clear water, do you think it affects the bite?

rnvinc
01-08-2009, 11:27 AM
I use florescent green spider rigging and I can't tell that it makes any difference in the number of bites.....but it sure makes a difference in the number of bites that I actually see...IMO

Gamblinman
01-08-2009, 11:28 AM
None whatsover

alabass
01-08-2009, 11:59 AM
It may not make a difference when fishing for crappie but I've seen it make a huge difference when fishing for bluegills and shellcracker. We were fishing Guntersville last year and my buddy couldn't buy a bite using hi-vis line but I was having no trouble catching them with clear line.

Crappie Dale
01-08-2009, 05:17 PM
I use Hi-Vis on most of my minner poles and shooting rigs i want to stay in contact with my line however The industry as a whole just about every bait artificial along with lines and even hair jigs supports good indication that millions of dollars have been spent by all manu based on some scientific info. I dont beleive that they would support something this conglomarant and not have some relativity. Alot of money has been poured into this color and to high a risk for there not tobe able to substantiate.

Your Good on color of line but i do agree i was on some good gills durring ice season and it seems as the fish shy awayed from the line under the ice i had aqua view and this is how i know. The water clarity was rather unusually clear for that day

CrappieDale
Team BNB Crappie jigs
Premium Hand-Tied Crappie jigs

caseydrew
01-09-2009, 12:21 AM
Doesn't do a thing to the fish on KY Lake and it sure is nice being able to see your line.

hunt4crappie
01-09-2009, 03:01 AM
Not long ago I was fishing in my boat and a guy I know was in his boat. We were anchored by each other, fishing the same area and the water had a heavy stain to it. My reels were spooled with hi-vis line and his were spooled with clear line. He was catching crappie like crazy and I couldn't even get a bite. We were fishing the exact same way, except for the color line. As soon as I got home I stripped all that hi-vis off my reels. I really think the hi-vis spooked the fish.

speckfinder
01-09-2009, 03:45 AM
no difference

wwwUncle
01-09-2009, 12:11 PM
Same here- no difference.

fingerlicken
01-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Thanks guys, I use high vis the lake I fish is stained and there is a lake I am wanting to try and it is deep and clear. I didn't no if I needed to change my line or not.

DC Crappie Kid
01-09-2009, 02:15 PM
No difference typically. But when they're extra finicky, I think it matters. It's kind of like my Papa says about jig color (he's a die-hard black/chart man) "90% of the time, the color of the jig doesn't matter...but I have all these other colors for that 10%." --I don't think line color matters most of the time, but when the bites are hard to come by, I'll at least tie on a low-vis green leader.

dragmaster
01-11-2009, 09:06 AM
I have seen it make a difference, I was fishing water with 6 foot visablity. My friend had 14 lb florocarbon and I was using High vis line. He was catching a lot and I had not had a bite, to make it even worse I swithed to 20 lb florocarbon and still was not getting bit. After about an hour of this I swithed to 14 floro and then and only then not only did I get bit but was out catching him 3 to 1. Sometimes High vis and line size do matter, I not sure but I don't think it is always that way, just certain day.

chuckauten
01-11-2009, 09:28 AM
I have found a solution to line visibility. Use hi vis and tie a small swivel. Then add about 24 to 30 inches of clear line (leader) with the jig or hook.

This way I have the best of both worlds. I also pre tie my leader and wrap around a pool noodle. (cut in half length wise) This way I don't have to waste time on the water tying up rigs.

Just a suggestion.

Chuck

TeamCSJE
01-11-2009, 09:50 PM
I second chuchauten. I us Suffix braid line in yellow. I always carry a small spool of fluorocarbon in 6 lb. test and if the fishing slows down I tie on a leader with the uni-knot. Has never failed me yet but then again, I don't have to do this very often.

TeamCSJE
Arizona Slab Slayers