Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone here use braid??

Post Thanks / Like

Default anyone here use braid??

never have used it on a crappie rod but was thinking about it, you'd practicly never lose a jig...and with 15 lb. braid being the eqiv.diam. of 4 lb. mono i dont see why they wouldn't bite, and the no stretch would make it super sensative...i'd like to hear everyone's thoughts, pro's & con's ???

Post Thanks / Like

The only con I can think of is visibility. I use Remington Braid for my casting bobber rigs. Casts a mile and I never snap off a float on the cast like I did with mono.

The only other thing I can think of would be with crappie and bluegill having soft lips the stiff line might set too hard and rip through the lip.
    I love taking my kids fishing, now if I could just manage to fish at the same time.

Speck is online now MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I use 6/20 braid on my jig poles. You are correct, I don't think I've ever lost a crappie jig while using it.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried it and don't really like it,the whole never losing a jig would be nice but the problem's i found is its rough feeling coming throough the guides and if you do get hung in a brushpile you end up moving it and spooking the fish,i'm thinking about trying it on a rod to fish around docks there are alot of abrasive and sharp objects on docks plus with all the stuff in the way and low roofs on some docks its hard to get a good hookset and the no stretch of braid should help.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Speck is online now MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Several companies make a high vis braid also. As far as getting hung in the brush and spooking the fish, I remedy that by spooking the fish long before I get hung up.:p

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Richard Bowling turned me on to suffix braid last spring and it seemed like you could really feel the brush and fish. I had it on when Bugs and I went this winter and had a lot of trouble with my eyes freezing up. I switched to mono the second time and the freezing was a lot better. I think there might be something to the water clarity also. Bucksaw, I think, is usually dirtier than Loz and some others.
    Last edited by osagemo; 12-29-2008 at 02:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

KP, I use braid exclusively and it is super sensitive. I've tried a ton of them and keep going back to the Cabelas Ripcord SI (not the SI PLUS) in hi-vis yellow. I used to use Mr. Crappie mono -- and it is a good line -- but I just got tired of constantly retying after getting hung up in the brush. It was a pain from that standpoint and downright uncomfortable in the winter with having to take off your gloves and all.

The braid I use is 10 lb. test with a diameter of 2 lb. line. It casts well and works great for vertical jigging. Oh and NEVER any line twist. The only time it can cause a problem is casting on a windy day. In that situation, you may end up with a wind knot or two.

Give it a shot, I say, and see what you think.
    - LOZcrappie (Scott)

I would not exchange my leisure hours for all the wealth in the world. --Comte de Mirabeau (1749-1791)

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I love the braid now. I put it on my rods for camp last year in Kansas. Have not quit using it yet. I use the Stren Hi-Vis gold. 4# dia.-14# strenth. Even have it on my trolling rods.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for all the input guy's, i think i'll give it a try!.........

Post Thanks / Like

I use stren sonic braid 8# which is equiv. to 1 lb mono. it is specially coated so it goes through the the guides very well and cast very easy. I haven't lost any fish due to ripping it out of their mouth and its super sensitive. Only drawback is it doesn't come in high viz. You can get the Stren Super braid in 10# high viz but not sure if it has the same coating the sonic braid has.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast