Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use one of these portable Buddy propane heaters?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone use one of these portable Buddy propane heaters?

I am considering one of these portable Buddy or Big Buddy propane heaters made by Mr. Heater. It would be used in my boat in such a manner that it won't tip over. My question for anybody that uses one is how far away can one sit and still feel the warmth of the unit? I suspect I would not want to be any closer than 4' but no further away than say 6' given experience with somewhat similar designed propane heaters.

Small Boat Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Default Safety

I use one of these in my ice fishing shanty.
    I would question the safety of having open flame in a boat due to possibility of gas fumes. You wouldn't see the flame in the daylight but there is a light rolling flame from time to time across the ceramic.
    This heater has a neat safety feature. If only slightly bumped, it will shut down. Also if a puff of breeze hits it it will shut down.
    Works great inside a ice shack.
    If you could feel the heat 4' away in an open boat I would be shocked. I can put a pair of damp gloves within an inch of the guard grill on the front for a short time in the ice shack. ole Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe a foot or two max from you to feel the warmth. I had one in my boat yesterday and had problems with wind blowing out the pilot light which shuts down the unit. Where it really came in nice was cleaning fish! Set that bad boy behind you on high and it will keep you nice and toasty!

PB Wht. Crappie 2.48 lbs 02-12-2011

Post Thanks / Like

my friend has one in his duckboat and it will freeze you to death. i use a mr. heater on a 20lb. tank. you have to be careful but it will keep you warm.
    If it will hold cornmeal it's big enough for me !!!!!!!!!

poppop is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I got one I used in a small, small camper during hunting season a couple of years back...it was all it could do to keep the camper warm. I definately would not buy another one myself. I doubt it would keep you warm on a boat at all unless you are enclosed.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought a new one off Ebay a year or so ago and wasnt pleased at all. All I wanted it for was to warm my hands but as already mentioned a small breeze would blow out the flame, even on high setting. I even tried blocking off the breeze with aluminum foil but that didnt help out much either. Since then, I've bought one of those golf cat heaters made by coleman. It doesnt have a blower on it, just heats a grid and is flameless (wind cannot blow it out) and have been very pleased. I just set it between my feet and light it up.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

i have one and use it in the boat to keep my hands warm but if the wind is blowing it will blow it out. If the wind blows it out it is probably time to leave any way.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gabowman View Post
    I bought a new one off Ebay a year or so ago and wasnt pleased at all. All I wanted it for was to warm my hands but as already mentioned a small breeze would blow out the flame, even on high setting. I even tried blocking off the breeze with aluminum foil but that didnt help out much either. Since then, I've bought one of those golf cat heaters made by coleman. It doesnt have a blower on it, just heats a grid and is flameless (wind cannot blow it out) and have been very pleased. I just set it between my feet and light it up.
    Here's the one I am using now. Is a good hand warmer heater.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, guys. I can now see how it would not do good in an open boat like I have. I might give that golf unit another look.
    Small Boat Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

nice post wasabi, I also was thinking of such a heater, now I think not. you can always count on good advice on here. later man

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast