PDA

View Full Version : How In The World Would You Catch Crappie Here?

Jerry Blake
12-05-2008, 09:29 PM
Anybody have any idea how to catch crappie on this bridge?

http://www.actionfishingtrips.com/OldSelfCreekBridge.JPG

Crappie Reaper
12-05-2008, 09:33 PM
wait till the water fills back up? Looks a little low tide, but I can make out a bit of brush in the water.

AWMiller
12-05-2008, 09:37 PM
Jerry... if I were fishing that bridge I'd first curse the engineers for not giving me columns (hahaha)! Seriously though... I'd work the shady side on the down-flow side of the bridge. I usually find a lot of crappie hanging 'downstream' of the bridge column just like a trout would do in an eddy behind a rock in the stream. They will wait there and nab the bait as it came through. So if you're casting, cast upstream and bring it down like the fish would normally swim downstream and you'll get 'em! Vertical jigging will work wonders too.

But a bridge without columns definitely is, albeit, a challenge to fish!

Lastly... hopefully the water's been drawn down and that it's not normally like that (with the channel running like it is. If that is how it is, man... I might find me some other place to fish!

rednecksooner
12-05-2008, 09:37 PM
stand in the middle and drop ur line in the water

Jerry Blake
12-05-2008, 10:02 PM
Well, you could build a dam to flood the river that the creek under the bridge flows into.

http://www.actionfishingtrips.com/Narrows%20Dam.JPG

Then drop the middle section of the bridge into the river channel using dynamite.

http://www.actionfishingtrips.com/OldSelfCreekBridge2.JPG

And let the lake continue to fill until the road surface is 20-feet underwater.

http://www.actionfishingtrips.com/Bridge2.JPG

Then fish with minnows and jigs around the bridge railings that have really nice spaces between them for the crappie to hang out in.

http://www.actionfishingtrips.com/Railings.JPG

If it all comes together just right you can get a mess like this:

http://www.actionfishingtrips.com/12-5-08.JPG

Crappie Reaper
12-05-2008, 10:06 PM
I was partially right, the water DID fill up. Nice history of the area along with those fancy doo dad pictures that money can buy. Thanks for sharing, and reminding me that I need to sell one of my kids so I can afford one of those doo dad thingy bobbers.

jaxsprat
12-05-2008, 10:12 PM
Gosh havin to build a dam & flood all that area sure seems like lotta work & $$$$. I mean they have fresh caught(from Canada) crappie for $4.69 @ pound at our local store here in Illinois. :D:D
Great picts Jerry & great catch, you always seem to have some big crappie to post. Yep your fish are as tall or taller then ILL crappie are long:D

Jerry Blake
12-05-2008, 11:03 PM
I forgot to mention having a buddy to enjoy catching the fish with you! Darryl and I had a great time "exploring" that old bridge this morning and catching a mess of crappie off of it. Then we went to Gayle's restaurant in Daisy for lunch and asked if they had any pictures of the old Self Creek Bridge. They have a lot of old pictures on the wall including a picture of the "new" Self Creek Bridge that was built when Highway 70 had to be re-routed to accommodate the lake. Sure enough, in the back room they had several pictures of the old bridge with some history in the captions on the bottom. All this construction and demolition took place in the late 40's and early 50's - waaaaay before my time. :)

Thanks Darryl, for scanning the pictures and sending them to me.

Darryl Morris
12-05-2008, 11:33 PM
It was one of the funnest days fishing I've had in a long time. After you turn blue, you remember to breath as each hawg finally finds its way in the net. Doing all the detailed sonar work and then getting the historic pictures just made it all the better. Conditions permitting it will produce ample numbers of fish for years to come. Learning something new every time you're on the water is a given, just sometimes it's more than other days. Knowing the old, sunken bridge is there was one thing - learning its lay, getting all the waypoints marking key features and identifying the details like the railings, ends, etc. makes all the difference. Worth every minute of the 3 hours it took to work it.

Darryl Morris
12-05-2008, 11:39 PM
When building habitat, Jerry always says, "If you build it, they will come." I think this also follows the same axiom as "If you put forth the effort, it will pay off."

GRIZZ
12-06-2008, 04:48 AM
How big were those puppies? I wish I was closer to you guys so I could fish with you once in a while. I really like the way you guys fish.

Jerry Blake
12-06-2008, 07:08 AM
We had 9 that were 15 to 15.5-inches long and weighed up to 2-pounds, 3-ounces. There are huge schools of threadfin shad everywhere in Greeson right now and it's real obvious that the crappie have plenty to eat because they are so thick across the shoulders and their bellies look like they are ready to spawn. If they keep going like they are and/or if we find the next older year class, I believe we'll be catching some 3-pounders this winter.

It's not that far Grizz, come on down! It was fun working that bridge. I had gone over the bridge the day before looking for a good spot to drop some condos and marked some fish on it so we were really just scouting it out when Darryl caught the first big slab. The pressure was real high yesterday and I really didn't expect to catch very many fish. The bite was really light and we had to put our offerings right in their noses. We each had a slip-float rig in rod holders set 18 to 19-feet deep so they would bump up against the concrete railing once in a while. We were also vertical jigging with pole-in-hand and could feel the railings and the bridge deck and work the jigs down around both sides of the railings.

We're heading out right not to see if we left any. :)

Greg Holt
12-06-2008, 10:14 AM
Thanks Jerry and Darryl for giving us a little history of bridge. I`ll give it a try next trip. Thanks for those pictures.

Nightprowler
12-06-2008, 10:32 AM
Historic Bridges of the U.S. | Self Creek US 70 Bridge (http://bridgehunter.com/ar/pike/self-creek/)

texascrappiefisherman
12-06-2008, 10:42 AM
We fished that bridge last year during CC. Didn't have that kinda luck.

GRIZZ
12-06-2008, 04:06 PM
Aww man your makin me sick. I'd trade all these walleyes for those crappies in a heartbeat, and what your doin sounds like a total blast. I might just have to follow your suggestion.

We had 9 that were 15 to 15.5-inches long and weighed up to 2-pounds, 3-ounces. There are huge schools of threadfin shad everywhere in Greeson right now and it's real obvious that the crappie have plenty to eat because they are so thick across the shoulders and their bellies look like they are ready to spawn. If they keep going like they are and/or if we find the next older year class, I believe we'll be catching some 3-pounders this winter.

It's not that far Grizz, come on down! It was fun working that bridge. I had gone over the bridge the day before looking for a good spot to drop some condos and marked some fish on it so we were really just scouting it out when Darryl caught the first big slab. The pressure was real high yesterday and I really didn't expect to catch very many fish. The bite was really light and we had to put our offerings right in their noses. We each had a slip-float rig in rod holders set 18 to 19-feet deep so they would bump up against the concrete railing once in a while. We were also vertical jigging with pole-in-hand and could feel the railings and the bridge deck and work the jigs down around both sides of the railings.

We're heading out right not to see if we left any. :)

Perch Jerker35
12-06-2008, 04:28 PM
I would fish a bobber/minnow rig on a ML rod.

Mike Simpson
12-06-2008, 04:33 PM
I feel like I've seen that bridge before...... :D

I "took this picture" while I was driving my boat directly over the middle of the road. It takes a while to get used to what you are looking at because of the way it shows the picture "split down the middle."

Here is an easy way to see with the proper perspective....

Tilt your head 90 degrees to the right
Now look from the bottom center edge of the picture and imagine yourself 100' from the bridge
You are standing flat footed in the dry river bed
The bridge is 100' in front of you, and approx. 25' tall
The line that divides the picture in half (at the cursor) is actually the surface of the water
You are actually standing in water that is approx. 45' deep. Can you see the school of fish above the broken section of the bridge? It looks like they are getting ready to "cross" the last standing section of the bridge and go on down the road!

To view the other half of the picture tilt your head to the left....

I know there has been a lot of questions about these finders, hope this makes it a little easier to determine what you are looking at when you see a snapshot taken from one.

Best fishes!
Mike

kycreek
12-06-2008, 04:46 PM
Great story and catch.

limbhook
12-06-2008, 05:21 PM
First you have to make sure your fishing rig has enough line on it.

Darryl Morris
12-06-2008, 05:56 PM
It produced well again today. Had a great time fishing with Tammy Richardson, professional bass angler, and her son Dustin. We ended up with 20 crappie (several at or near 2-pounds, the biggest was 16" - 2lbs.5ozs.) and 9 bass.

http://www.familyfishingtrips.com/images/081206.jpg

kycreek
12-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Great stringer again.

grubby
12-06-2008, 08:16 PM
You Guys are killing me looking at all these pics. I'm going to have nightmares of Darryl holding up crappie in my sleep saying (If you go enough you'll be there when it happens). LOL. You guys keep it up and I'll be down there sooner or later .

L.A. stumpjumper
12-06-2008, 08:38 PM
Anybody have any idea how to catch crappie on this bridge?

http://www.actionfishingtrips.com/OldSelfCreekBridge.JPG

I know how to catch fish there, just get in the boat with some great guides like Jerry and Darryl, problem solved. Thanks Jerry very interesting post, when I grow up I want to get one of those SIs and learn to use it. Those are some nice fish y'all are catching.

feelay
12-06-2008, 11:25 PM
Ya'll killin' me with you're promotion of these SI units. Gonna make me buy one, then get me divorced for doing so! I Quit playing golf 'cause it was too expensive. Truth be told, I probably caught more fish before I invested in a boat and all the toys that go along with it, but don't tell my wife!

Arkie John
12-07-2008, 12:57 AM
I think that even if many of us don't have the Humminbird rigs, we still need to do a much better job at utilizing what we DO have.

The Lowrance 520c and the GPS have opened up many new avenues for yours truly. And, fer sur, there is not a single time that I go out on the water that I don't learn something brand new about my HOME lake!

Puttin' it all together resulting in a respectable stringer gives unmeasurable satisfaction to me.

This a a very interesting and informative post. Thanks so much for sharing it with us all. The spirit of Crappie.com is alive and well. :D

aj

Jerry Blake
12-07-2008, 01:01 AM
Ya'll killin' me with you're promotion of these SI units. Gonna make me buy one, then get me divorced for doing so! I Quit playing golf 'cause it was too expensive. Truth be told, I probably caught more fish before I invested in a boat and all the toys that go along with it, but don't tell my wife!

We didn't actually use the Side Imaging to find the bridge or to figure out that it had railings and how it laid but it was sure neat to see the images from the Side Imaging after we had figured it all out and had seen the photographs of the bridge before it was under water. I'm actually a bit disappointed that we can't see the individual fish that we now know are hanging around the bridge railings.

I really haven't played with the SI feature of my 797 like I need to though and if I can get the perfect boat speed, scroll speed, distance, sensitivity and all the other variables figured out it should give me even better images. I took some more shots today but didn't bring the SD card home to download them yet.

danny
12-07-2008, 01:17 AM
nice fish jerry and darryl you guys sure can put people on the fish keep up the good work

Mike Simpson
12-07-2008, 02:24 AM
I agree this is a great thread and way to share information, it is especially interesting to me because I can compare what I saw on my screen with an actual photograph. Fishing is always a continual learning process for me, seeing the old photographs of this bridge helps me to have even more confidence in what I see, or perceive to see on the SI screen.

Even though these units show greater detail than we have ever seen, they still take a while to get used to using them and just because you can snap pictures of schools of fish that doesn't put them in your livewell! ;)

For me, I like it because I can see 180 degrees below me and it saves me a great deal of time because I can search a lot of area in a short amount of time. I'm not just looking for bait or fish anymore, I'm searching and sorting through schools of fish and start by fishing the ones I think I have the best chance at catching first. It's a lot easier to put a puzzle together when you have a handfull of big pieces rather than a bucket full of small ones. :D

I say it doesn't matter if your unit is worth a nickel or $5,000, if you can read it and tell exactly what is down there and what isn't you are on your way! There's no substitute for time spent learning on the water. When I was younger I knew of some old timers with the oldest, no frills flasher units and they could interpret what they were seeing on the dial better than I could today with most any fish finder ever made!

One of the best things about fishing for crappie is that you don't have to have the most or newest equipment to catch them. I've caught them on everything from a cane pole to fine graphite rods, from a boat and from the shore. So far every crappie I have ever caught was just as much fun as the one before!:D

As for Jerry and Darryl, YES, they do good work and they do put you on the fish for sure! First class operation all the way around.

Mike

Jerry Blake
12-09-2008, 07:53 PM
Found them on the old bridge (and a few other places) again today:

http://www.actionfishingtrips.com/12-9-08.JPG

The biggest two were each 2-pounds, 2-ounces and one was a male and the other was a female. The females are really building up a good egg supply.

WestTennCrappie
12-09-2008, 11:53 PM
Great Job jerry. Save a few for me sometime soon!

DRPEPPER
12-10-2008, 08:34 AM
Great thread Jerry. Maybe I can find a bridge next time I am over there. I haven't made many trips anywhere lately. But, last August I slipped away to Greeson and tried to find the sunken boat. Maybe a bridge will be easier.
DP

Greg Holt
02-20-2009, 07:40 PM
Jerry are you still trying the bridge area lately?

Kman
02-20-2009, 08:05 PM
Great post!

Just ordered my 798ci SI yesterday and should have her in next week. One thing I noticed on Mikes post in the picture was you had what SEEMED to be to me the same pic on the right and on the left side of the boat.:confused:

How does that happen if it is shooting truly to the left and truly to the right? Were you crossing it perpendicular maybe?

Thanks. I know I gotta lot of learning to do when I get it and every little explanation helps.