Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need help with trolling motor!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need help with trolling motor!!

Sounds like the crappie have been hitting well for the LOZ guys! Way to go!Have only been fishing a little off our dock, have about 10 from 10" to 13" in the live box.
    Need some help from someone much smarter than me out there.
    We recently sold our pontoon (which we had bought new in 2002) to a good friend. It is a 2002 Landau-rigged with a xp4000 (bow-mounted 43# thrust) motorguide trolling motor. Anyway, we had used the trolliing motor only the first year we had it and only one or two times for a total of less than 10 minutes. That was like 6 years ago. (I have a small bass boat and it is so much easier to fish with than the pontoon).
    Found out yesterday from our friend that the motor was 'frozen up' and when the motor was opened up full of rust! I just know that water could not have gotten past the seals in the few minutes that the motor was used. Can only think that just sitting horizontal and maybe with the humidity down here that it rusted.
    I want to do the right thing and either get it repaired (if possible) or replace it.
    Any thoughts from you guys about what caused the problem and if you think the motor could be repaired and where and if not possible to fix it, what trolling motor and best place to buy one!
    Thanks!
    Last edited by CrappieHusker; 12-01-2008 at 11:51 AM.
    the trick to catch that finnicky speck....
    gently set the hook just before the peck

Post Thanks / Like

inactivity is the worst thing for boat or mechanical things, especially motors. the more you use the best it runs. Lack of use leads to all kind of seal or wiring problems, just my experience.

Post Thanks / Like

If they are good friends they probably told you not to worry about it, but a gift card to bass pro or cabelas couldnt hurt. I have taken them apart but it usually doesnt work out to well. but sometimes it does,, gift card you feel good they think highly of you and all is well good luck which ever way ...

Post Thanks / Like

Husker......Here is the motorguide service center in springfield.....Marine Repair Center, 514 N. Prince Lane, Ph# 417-833-9191. Nice people to do buisness with. Have always been able to fix what I tear up. They also sell new and used.
    I just KNOW it was a big one!!!
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Default thanks for the responses!

Appreciate the advice of Bruce Carpenter, beagle man and FROSTY!

I called the Marine Repair Center in Springfield, talked to George. Options are to replace the motor with a new or rebuilt motor or to repair the existing. Plan on having them replace the lower unit of the existing motor, as the rest of the trolliing motor appears to be okay (according to my friend, as I have not seen the motor) He did say that when they opened the motor on his neighbor's dock, it was still full of rusty water! which is hard to believe after at least 4 years.
    So, like Bruce Carpenter says, "inactivity is the worst thing for boat or mechanical things"
    I keep telling my wife the same thing "if you don't use it you lose it!"

Husker
    the trick to catch that finnicky speck....
    gently set the hook just before the peck

Post Thanks / Like

Husker.....That must be true.....I also read that in a fortune cookie! hehe
    I just KNOW it was a big one!!!
    Mike