Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Tidal water crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tidal water crappie

I find that crappie seem to bite better on a falling tide. Does anyone else find this to be true when fishing in tidal water for crappie. Also seems like the colder the better in tide water but ponds seem to slow a little when its bitter cold.

Post Thanks / Like

I find that around my way they bite better when the water is down. Either at the end of the outgoing, or beginning of the incoming. I think alot of this has to do with what I fish. I usually fish just docks. If there is no room to get the jig up under the docks, I can't get to the fish as easily.
    I love when the water gets into the 40's. They school up nice.

Post Thanks / Like

I would have to say we've always done better in lower water too . I think it might keep them more concentrated, keeps out of cypress trees and easier to get to. Very best day we had last winter on the upper Nanticoke river water temp. was 38 , it was hard on the old finger tips that day. Are you guys fishing in the joppatown area? I remember my Dad going there before I Was old enough to go then we never fished there anymore, always went other places . We used to catch alot of crappie in the back of stillpond cr. off the upper bay on the eastern side back when I goose hunted there in the late 80's.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes on J-Towne

Post Thanks / Like

tear-em-up,i live here in eastern,nc and fish the tidal rivers from time to time.i will agree on having better luck on the falling tide.i don't really think they shut completely down on the rising tide,i think they position themselves differently to feed on the tide rise.for years folks thought you couldn't catch then whem it was hot,but that's myth also.Monk Wilson and his wife killed the crappie last year at Jordan Lake when it was over 90*f and the water was extremely low.Where you guys catch crappie,do you also catch a good many saltwater fish also?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes we do alot of salt water fishing ocean, Del. bay & CHESAPEAKE bay.Thats why more of my crappie fishing is done in colder weather & on windy days.Been doing more crappie fishing lately because its cheaper too ,& I still have just as much fun .In late April thru most of June I do alot of light tackle jig fishing for Flounder when there in our shallows. This time of the year in the salt up here we fish for stripers,we call em Rockfish & a fish called Tautog we catch those on wrecks & rockpiles. Would love to go to Buggs for crappie some time. What tidal rivers do ya fish in NC for crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

NE Cape Fear,New River(Jacksonville),Black River,Trent and more recently the Neuse.I personally have never been to Buggs,but i know it's an awesome crappie fishery.Fished Jordan more last year,it's a pretty goos hole also.My question on the saltwater fish was you ever catch them while fising for crappie? I was at the Nuese last Sunday and i caught a puppy drum,several pinfish and 2 small spots while fishing for crappie and bream.

Post Thanks / Like

Not where I'm crappie fishing but I have caught small bluefish & LMbass in the same spots down the same rivers closer to the mouths. Also have caught sea trout & channel cats in the same place in the Broadkill river in southern Delaware. Would like to go some place like Buggs just to fish the deeper brushpiles & to fish a big lake , our crappie fishing here on the Delmarva penisula is in upper tidal rivers & creeks or in the millponds which were from the many old grist mills that used to be here, most are 10-25 acres & 8 ft. is real deep most are 6ft. Its different then any article or video you see except for dock shooting.