Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hilltop Harvest 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Hilltop Harvest 2008

Hilltop Harvest 2008

From about August of each year, I habitually begin casting my eyes upon the local fields in the late evenings so I begin to collect as much information as possible about the upcoming fall hunting. It’s just something in my blood and I can’t help it. It gives me confidence when I see good deer preparing for the rut in just a few months.

This year was a bit concerning to me because I had not observed one single buck deer in these fields…even until opening day. This could be another luckless deer season.

So when October 1st did come, finally, I was surprised to see some really nice deer sneaking through the woods. It seemed that if I was patient that I would get a deer this year, unlike the year before. I had to keep reminding myself of this as I put together a string of misses that wore on my confidence.

First there was the five-point that at 35 yards. I shot over him. It was a new area and I didn’t have the place marked well enough. Usually I mark my shooting lanes every ten steps, up to 50 so I have an idea just how far the game will be. I do not need a rangefinder when I can do some prepatory work. In this case, the prep work had not yet been done on the new stand…and it became painfully obvious. Encounter No. 1; Deer-1, AJ-0.

The next shot came a few days later as I watched four does make their way through the multicolored October woods, up out of a draw and onto the rise and cross at 55 yards—across the clearing from my permanent tree stand. Twenty minutes later, I glimpsed a really nice 10-point trailing the does. He crossed right where they did, at 55 yards. I took the marginal shot but he dropped down, BIG TIME, when he heard the bow. My arrow crashed into a rock pile and the buck was into the thicket and backtracking into the bigger woods at full tilt. My arrow looked likt a pretzel when I retrieved it. The miniblaster was wasted. Encounter No2; Deer-2, AJ-0. Maybe next time.

Next time was two days later. I saw a spike and a four-point slip through the woods and noticed they crossed at the same place the 10-point did earlier. I knew what I had to do. That evening, I got out a climber tree stand and put it to where I had a 20-yard shot from where all the bucks and the four does had been crossing. Maybe a change will be nice and I’ll actually get a decent shot.

The next couple of days I spent in the new stand, I saw nothing but steadily improved my shooting lanes and marked them every ten steps beginning at 20steps, as I always do. Then on the third day of hunting from the new location, I heard my dogs going crazy in the back yard. I'm hunting some 500 yards from my back yard. I could not believe it! I looked up to see a beautiful 8-point loping across the open field heading north to my OLD permanent stand--not 25 yards away from him!! I am 60 yards distant from the buck, in the new location..."what rotten luck," I thought. But he turned once he got to my fresh trail leading out to the new stand and started back to the south acreage down my fence line. As it turned out, he stopped at 40 steps exactly from my present location. I was already at full draw and cut the shot and it passed...just under his belly. I just muffed it--that's bow hunting. He was off to the races and I just sighed. Nothing but long shots, but I thanked the good Lord for clean misses and plentiful shots, even if they were long. Third encounter; Deer-3, AJ-0. This game was getting old.

I didn’t get to hunt for a day or two but on the 28th I was able to slip out to the climber about 4:30pm and set up shop. It was cool and there were no bugs. It was a beautiful afternoon and I felt good. It was just a matter of time. At 5:50pm I noticed movement down the hill at 65 steps and all I could see was antlers. It was a big-bodied buck with a full rack. He was either the 10-point or the 8-point. I couldn’t tell, but I was ready nevertheless.

He ambled past my 50 step mark then the 30 and through a bunch of thicker undergrowth, right on track as all the others had done. I knew exactly where he would cross. I shifted to the best position, took my bow to the ready and when he dropped his head in the bushy area, I came to full draw. This was going to be textbook.

The ole’ boy walked forward a couple of steps and froze, lifting his nose to test the wind. His tongue licked his nose a couple of times and the wind was marginal, though 99% calm. He sensed something was wrong and so did I. I was dyin'... holding at full draw for over 30 seconds when he finally comitted to cross the the lane. He began to cross the lane; “Pick a spot. Pick a spot and settle down.” My heart would not obey. At an eternal 45 seconds at full draw, the deer took two more steps to give me a perfectly clear shot at 19 steps. I settled the 20-yard pin and cut the shot.

My eyes followed the arrow until it disappeard into the buck’s left side, right behind the shoulder. Immediately the deer whirled on a 160 and took off down a trail that led southeast. His tail was down, and I knew I had him. I listened as he raced out of hearing. I thought I heard him crash but could not be sure. I looked at my watch. It was 6:00pm straight up. I took off my headnet and slumped back into my tree stand. I took some deep breaths trying to settle down. I thanked the Lord for another blessed hunt...and for giving me an earthly father that burned these values into me from the time I could walk. I could feel Daddy all around me. I could almost hear him say, "That's what we come after, boy!" I know he's proud. Seven minutes had passed.

I tried to wait 30 minutes but at 20 minutes after the hour my wrist was getting sore from me looking at the watch so much. I was pretty sure I had a boiler-room kill shot on him so I unclipped my harness, lowered my bow and quietly climbed down to the ground.

I slipped off down the trail, first looking at where I shot him. No hair, no blood and I couldn’t see my arrow anywhere. I was a bit uneasy. It was 30 minutes before dark and I didn’t have much time for an extended track so I had to get busy. I nocked another arrow and eased down the trail, still seeing no blood even after 40 yards or so. Hmmmm. I slowed down and just really eased down the trail for the next ten yards or so and when I looked ahead, there he was laid out on his left side, facing away from me, looking very beautiful, but very dead. The shot came out behind the right shoulder--a complete pass-through.

Not to take a chance, I readied the Matthews and inched forward. As I approched, I was looking at the biggest deer I had ever taken in my life. I nudged his ham with the arrow and he did not move. The right eye was open and lifeless. He was dead 30 minutes ago. I put my bow down and just gazed at him in amazement. “Finally, a decent shot at a respectable deer. Thank you dear heavenly Father,” I thought.

I got on my cell and called Gigi, my sweet wife. “Hey, babe, get the skillet hot!” After much hoop-la, I asked her to meet me at the fence and I would walk her into the woods where we could drag out this big boy. I wanted nothing more than to share this experience with her to, perhaps, burn a special memory into her heart, for later reference. Gigi was just super excited--like someone put fresh batteries in her. “I’ll be right out. Let me change my shoes.” Ten minutes later, here she came.

We slowly made our way back to where the buck lay and she was just jumping for joy as she beheld it for the time. “He is the biggest deer I have EVER seen, John! Oh!! How pretty!” she said. He probably weighed 170, maybe 180, with a symetrical 8-point set of antlers, having an inside spread of 15 inches.

She grabbed one side and I grabbed the other side of the antlers and we'd drag him about 25 yards and we’d rest…and then 25 more and rest. 20 minutes later and out of breath, we finally found ourselves at the front door of my shop. We took a bunch of photos (no, I don't know how to post them yet) and made a couple of phone calls, first to my brother Tom and then to little sister Linda.

I took my time with this one, hoisting him to the top of the A-frame with the 2-ton come-a-long. I had him caped and basically butchered by 02:30 the following morning, still having the hams to make into jerky. That would take another day after a good chill to firm the meat.

I’m not so much of a deer hunter (being much more into turkey hunting); that position belongs to brother Tom. But this year I finally got a decent deer and we praise the Lord for it. Friday, Tom is coming over to hunt the same area. I hope he sticks the 10-point.

But as for me, well, now, I can concentrate of catching that state record crappie :rolleyes: or going for my 15th Eastern wild turkey with a bow. Retirement is all that it is cracked up to be. If you don’t think so, just ask me! :p

Thanks so much for coming along on this special hunt at the Hilltop. <><

aj
    Last edited by Arkie John; 11-01-2008 at 12:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

AJ, Congrats, great story man
    Goodnight Vienna...Pistols Firing!!!

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Great story and congrats on a fine hunt. Got a picture to post?:D
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

congrats!

Post Thanks / Like

Great Job!!!!!!! I can smell the venison cooking !!!!!!! and I know how good the jerky tastes

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

aj,

Congratulations. You are fortunate to be blessed with the first deer of your retirement being your personal best. I personally don't think luck had anything to do with that deer. I'm betting that deer came to you because of Mr. Weston guiding him straight to you.

boatstall
    "Hello, My name is Bill, and I'm a tackleholic"

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

:DAJ, I checked your profile and see you are a writer. NO DOUBT about that after reading your story. You should get that one posted in a hunting magazine!:p I thuroughly enjoyed the read and wanted to say congrats on your trophy whitetail.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I really don't believe in luck either...

Quote Originally Posted by boatstall View Post
    aj,

Congratulations. You are fortunate to be blessed with the first deer of your retirement being your personal best. I personally don't think luck had anything to do with that deer. I'm betting that deer came to you because of Mr. Weston guiding him straight to you.

boatstall
    ...but I never related the two events until you mentioned it. I believe that enjoying the creation and serving the Creator has definite advantages; both here on earth and in eternity.

Thanks so much for your kind words. <><

aj
    Last edited by Arkie John; 11-01-2008 at 12:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks a bunch, Bowman!

Quote Originally Posted by gabowman View Post
    :DAJ, I checked your profile and see you are a writer. NO DOUBT about that after reading your story. You should get that one posted in a hunting magazine!:p I thuroughly enjoyed the read and wanted to say congrats on your trophy whitetail.
    The story needs a bit of polish yet, but maybe it could land somewhere one of these days.

I have a compilation of stories from my upbringing that are directed primarily to the kids and theirs to come. Perhaps one day, they will pick this old dusty collection and sit down for a day or two of reading. Then, they would have a glimpse of what it would have been like to grow up in Saline County, Arkansas in the 40's, 50's and 60's. And then there are the hunting and fishing stories of my young adulthood and some, even to this point.

I have had a story or two published, but I'd starve to death if I had to make a living at it, I suppose.

Thank you so much, for your kind response. I wish you the best, as well, on your approaching season. <><

Fair winds and following seas,

aj

Post Thanks / Like

Fatman, Jeff, Nimrod and Z;

Thanks for you taking the time to read this story and to post back. But now I'm lookin to read a good fishin' story!

aj

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast