Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Long lining or fast trolling jigs in the fall

Post Thanks / Like

Default Long lining or fast trolling jigs in the fall

I have only done this technique in the spring using jigs. Does it work in the fall also? If so what would be a good water temperature range to try it in?

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on which lake you are on. The fish at Reelfoot Lake are being caught mostly by guys that are jigging stumps with one rod. The water is extremely low there so that is the prefered method for catching larger fish. Other bodies of water such as the Tenn. River, a host of weapons(methods) are being deloyed. One of the most popular is trolling. This is only because you are fishing a large body of water with various types of underwater structure.

The short answer is yes you can use this method now. When the fish move up in the skinny water you can still use this method but longer trolling rods in 12",14", and 16" lengths are preffered becuse it gets the pole away from the trolling motor where noise becomes a big factor.

You can deploy this method at any water temp. Water temp. should be your guide to where the fish are holding at that particular time. Every lake is different so you have to do a little research to understand how that temp. affects the fish on your area lake.

Some say the magic number is 60*

The Hound

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the top ten teams at the Crappie Masters Championship were trolling long line and jigs.The fish were from 2 to 6 foot deep over 8 to 10 foot of water on Lake Harris.

Post Thanks / Like

I fast trolled last tuesday by myself. Caught 37. I spend the morning looking for fish and finally found them at 1:45. The next two hours were great. Finding the crappie is the key in the Fall. Fast trolling will work as you can cover more territory but you will have to adjust your speed to get the right depth.

Going again in the morning. Hopefully with good results. If not then there is friday.