Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: question for gardeners on Mums

Post Thanks / Like

Question question for gardeners on Mums

Picked up 12 mums sunday that were priced down to 1$ each.Still have green foliage but the flowers are all brown and dried.
    I live in NW Missouri and we've had several frosts and freezes already.
    Should I clip them back and plant them?Leave them in the garage till spring?Bring'em indoors?

They were potted and sitting outside on a display rack for at least 2 weeks before I bought them,kinda dry.

Post Thanks / Like

Go ahead & plant them, giving them some TLC. I've found that using soil that has a lot of organic compost added to it when planting mums in the fall & mulching them with chopped leaves & pine needles really increased their survival rate. When the threat of frost is over in the spring, don't forget to pull back the mulch.Be sure and trim them back.And cover them with a couple inches of the mulch.

Post Thanks / Like

CQ if you were saying trim them back in the Spring that is correct. I would plant them now. That just keeps you from having to remember to water em' throughout the winter. I believe if I remember correctly that you all are zone 5 for plants. It shouldn't be a problem unless the weather turns out unusally colder this year as the famers almanac has expected. Your only problems will come if it stays below freezing for a week or so. A couple of weeks of temps. in the tens will have an effect on a lot of plants.

The Hound
    Last edited by CrappieHound; 10-27-2008 at 07:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiequeennc View Post
    Go ahead & plant them, giving them some TLC. I've found that using soil that has a lot of organic compost added to it when planting mums in the fall & mulching them with chopped leaves & pine needles really increased their survival rate. When the threat of frost is over in the spring, don't forget to pull back the mulch.Be sure and trim them back.And cover them with a couple inches of the mulch.
    How are you doing MS QUEEN?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guys and Gals!
    Got them in the ground yesterday.

Hardyville Hart Co, Ky,45min fromNolin, 50 min. Green 55 min. Barren 75 min Dale!
    Post Thanks / Like

I have some that are 20 years old, Every year I leave them alone till spring and put on leather gloves and break the dead foilage up as mulch,but new ones should be fine just set out and forget this late.

I use hedge clippers to trim my blooms off till the 4th of July, they will really thicken up .
    Good Luck
    Rowdy
    Remember This Beautiful World is
    ''Only Temperary Housing''!

Rowdy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slipped Cork View Post
    How are you doing MS QUEEN?
    I'm just taking one day at a time my friend....Thank you for asking..