Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fred, Pete and Pete/ Oak Island 10/1

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fred, Pete and me/ Oak Island 10/1

Fred, Pete and I got down to Oak Island this week. We took my boat.
    First Day: Sea conditions were tough. Wave height was 2 to 4 when we went out and and 3 to 5 when we back. Luckily we were heading with the wind and the wave swells on the way back in. My boat is only 20 feet however I found out that its dry in rough seas. but its under powered for seas that rough. Pete is near guiding status at Oak Island so he ran the boat out and let me run it back in. I don't want to go out in seas like that again though. We didn't catch but one good fish and was totally beaten when we got back to the boat ramp. Fred did land a 20 lb. drum that we had to release per NCDNR REGS.
    Second Day: Seas were one to two feet all day. We went about 5 miles out. I got lucky and caught a 15 lb drum that we could keep as it was within the regulatory length. We caught our limit in grey trout plus two nice Spanish mackerels. Toward the end of the day I really got lucky and caught a 27lb 9 oz drum that was a hell of a battle to get in the boat.. but again we had to release it.....great day on the ocean though.
    Third Day: The best day .The ocean was flat as a mirror. It was like being on Lake Norman or Lake Murray. We started off by catching 14 grey trout, two more Spanish and then the excitement started. The King Mackerel moved in and boats around us started catching them. Pete was watching the action and stated some were at least 30 lbs. Pete said lets run back to shore and get some bait for them. We headed for the shore and the beach and pulled up about 100 yards from shore and Pete started netting porgies. Looks like fresh water brim about 1/2 lb or so. He netted about 20 and we headed back out as fast as the boat would go. Pete set up the king rods and we started trolling. I caught a 12 lb king on on my rod. Fifteen minutes later Pete caught a 20 lb king and then we trolled and waited for Fred to catch one. It came about 30 minutes later and it was 15 lbs. We decided to troll for 30 more minutes as it was near six PM. Just as we were getting the rods in my reel started jerking and the the line went out.... Pete grabbed the rod as he was the nearest and hooked the fish. After about three minutes he said it was a shark. So we settled back and let him fight the shark. After about 20 minutes he had it come up about 10 feet off the bow. It wasn't a shark. A 25 lb. king mackerel was on the line. I didn't mind him reeling it in on my rod as I was tired as heck anyway. . It took Pete another 15 minutes or so to gaff the king and get it in the boat....what a great fish. We had four king mackerels plus the trout in the boat and headed for the ramp about 12 miles away. Great day but a long one.

We caught about 190 lbs (estimated) of fish in three days of which 20 lbs Fred's drum was caught on the first day in one fish so really the last two days netted about 170 lbs of fish. The grey trout were running 1 to 4 lbs.
    Great trip Some photos attached.......iamfishing
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Iamfishing; 10-02-2008 at 03:48 PM. Reason: corrected title...

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like yall had a blast! Thanks for the pictures and report.
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Post Thanks / Like

nice fish,thanks for the pictures and report
    The fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad

Post Thanks / Like

great catch!
    Son of Racoon, Friend of whiskerwhipper, FHB to all.

Post Thanks / Like

nice pics of some nice fish
    Never take the advice of someone who has not had your kind of trouble!

Post Thanks / Like

Them are some nice fish right there!