Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Some basic crappie rigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Some basic crappie rigs

Hi gang,

I was out at my little bass fishing honey hole searching for crappie. A guy out there was catching multiple crappie---I caught none. I looked at the way that he had his lure(s) rigged. He had multiple minnows on one line. Have any of you used this technique? What's it called? Can someone explain how to rig this. Any other tips re: rigging are appreciated as well. Thanks guys...:o Hopefully I'll be able to post pics of my stringer in the very near future
    There's nothing like feeling that THUMP...FISH ON

Post Thanks / Like

I empithise with you OJB. Its always that way with me. The other guy alwasys kicks sand in my face too.

Way out west in the salt water we'd fish for bottom fish similarly.
    Put a weight on the bottom. We did this because we wanted to 'sense' for the bottom because the fish we were going after lived right on the bottom.
    Just up from the bottom weight we'd tie a treble hook on a short stiff leader, so it'd stick out away from the main line.
    A few inches up, another treble hook, etc etc ect. We'd usually put on about three hooks.
    It worked. We used Clams, Herring, Mussels, liver...whatever. When the tide's going out they eat anything and fight for it. It wasnt unusual to get two fish on one hook.

I'd bet (because I dont know) that he's doing something similar.
    I just wish I could be better at fishing. Or maybe luckier!:D

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Ol JB ....

Quote Originally Posted by Ol JohnnyBoy View Post
    Hi gang,

I was out at my little bass fishing honey hole searching for crappie. A guy out there was catching multiple crappie---I caught none. I looked at the way that he had his lure(s) rigged. He had multiple minnows on one line. Have any of you used this technique? What's it called? Can someone explain how to rig this. Any other tips re: rigging are appreciated as well. Thanks guys...:o Hopefully I'll be able to post pics of my stringer in the very near future
    I've used this technique down on Weiss Lake, Ala. .... referred to as "Bumpin Bottom" down there. Basically a modified KY Lake Rig ... sinker on bottom, then snelled hooks (hook on premade leaders) are tied onto the main line above the sinker. Sinker on bottom is used for several reasons, other than just taking the minnows down .... it allows you to feel bottom, see the line go slack when you hit bottom, contact the brush before hooks do, and if the hooks do get snagged ... dropping the weight deeper can sometimes free them.
    There are many different variations of this way of rigging ... but the principal is the same : multiple baits at different depths simultaniously, using sinker as both a line control and probe (to find, & hold bait above, cover/bottom). Can be used with one pole or multiple poles, tightlining or slow trolling or drifting.

I refer to it as a KY Lake Rig, because I was introduced to it back in the early 1970's (on KY/Barkley lakes) ... as a way to slowly ease around on stump filled flats, until the sinker came in contact with the stump/brush, then holding it there to catch prespawn Crappie (which were staging there, on their way into the shallow banks of that area). It was a 1oz bell sinker, tied to the end of the main line .... and had two metal outriggers with snelled hooks on leaders coming off each, and the outriggers were staggered up the line ... approx 12-18 inches above the sinker, and seperated from each other by the same distance.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

This is the only way my grandad fished when I was growing up on eufaula. Eagle Claw has pre made ones. You can get them at Wally World or just about anywhere that sells eagle claw hooks around here. This is about the only visual I could find.

http://www.fishusa.com/tackleshop/ca...5D176215F&fx=1
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 09-28-2008 at 04:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Variable

Many different way to rig this basic method.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

That KY rig is one of my favorite ways to fish.I like to rig it with a 1/4 or 3/8 sinker on bottom most of the time,then a couple extra thin wire Eagle Claws tied up from that about 18 or so inchs apart and rig the hooks with tubes filled with the Crappie nibbles.I fish this rig in alot of situation where before I was just dipping a jig and like it alittle better.I sometimes will use heavier weights or minnows if needed.

Post Thanks / Like

OJB go to youtube and search Wally Marshall trolling for crappie and watch the video that is 9:59 long it is extremely informative and it catches fish.I tried the other methods with swivels and leaders and I stayed so frustated and tangled up then I started fishing this way and it is extremely easy and if you lose a rig or get tangled up it doesnt take long at all to retie a rig.

Post Thanks / Like

I have Netcrafts old wire forming tool and I make those during the winter. You can change the color of the beads and lengths of the wire any way you want.

Fatman