Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling at LOZ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling at LOZ?

Do any of you LOZ regulars troll cranks with any success? I have done a little bit of messing around with it and caught a few. I was just wondering if it is a better summertime pattern than jiggin brushpiles etc.. I have also heard to troll along bluffs and wondered if anyone does this. I am at the 7mm of the Osage, so it can get rough which only leaves you a couple of hours in the morning in the summer, or at night. By the way does anyone have luck night fishing for crappie. We bought a submersible light that we have used off of our dock with only mediocre results. Was wondering if you'd be better off taking it in the boat and anchoring up somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

No help on the trolling or night fishing, guess I should expand my horizons. Have been able to jigg a few decent fish out of the brush about everytime out. Good Luck.
    Mark

Pitching jigs, catching slabs, life is good

Post Thanks / Like

Paging Mike Baker, Paging Mike Baker!!!!!
    - LOZcrappie (Scott)

I would not exchange my leisure hours for all the wealth in the world. --Comte de Mirabeau (1749-1791)

Post Thanks / Like

Wife and I are trolling cranks baits now for our 2nd summer and do really well.
    Good way to catch some REALLY NICE fish!

We actually troll with all the boat traffic gets kind of rough but worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Just,
    I know this is going to sound dumb but, what exactly is a crank bait for crappie.
    speckologist

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by speck catcher View Post
    Hey Just,
    I know this is going to sound dumb but, what exactly is a crank bait for crappie.
    It is when you tie on a small 2" (bandit or Norman are my favorite) crank bait and let out 80 to 100 yards of line and pull the crank bait behind the boat with 4 or 6lb test line. I use my trolling motor at about 1.2 to 2 mph hour. It is a great way to locate and catch crappie. I just started last year and still have a lot to learn but I can tell you that you will catch larger crappie doing this and can catch other fish like walleye also. I usually put out 3 rods if by myself or 5 if fishing with someone else.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pole Bender View Post
    It is when you tie on a small 2" (bandit or Norman are my favorite) crank bait and let out 80 to 100 yards of line and pull the crank bait behind the boat with 4 or 6lb test line. I use my trolling motor at about 1.2 to 2 mph hour. It is a great way to locate and catch crappie. I just started last year and still have a lot to learn but I can tell you that you will catch larger crappie doing this and can catch other fish like walleye also. I usually put out 3 rods if by myself or 5 if fishing with someone else.
    Kinda what we do. Use Bandits 200 and 300 and Wiggle Warts. Using heavier line 8-15 lb. Pull them as fast as we can go, the faster you go the less of a look they get at it. The little/smaller ones seem to be afraid of them and the bigger ones will actually swallow the whole bait sometimes!!
    I've got a set up for 8 rods but we only run 4 but are going to start using 8 as soon as I get some planner boards and learn how to use them.
    We also catch some nice bass,whites/stripers, and walleyes. (also the occasional trophy drum as we call them LOL)
    It is not uncommon to have a fish on every rod at once, gets to be like a Chinese fire drill sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info boys, I'm going to give it a try.
    Speck Catcher
    speckologist

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by justfishin View Post
    Kinda what we do. Use Bandits 200 and 300 and Wiggle Warts. Using heavier line 8-15 lb. Pull them as fast as we can go, the faster you go the less of a look they get at it. The little/smaller ones seem to be afraid of them and the bigger ones will actually swallow the whole bait sometimes!!
    I've got a set up for 8 rods but we only run 4 but are going to start using 8 as soon as I get some planner boards and learn how to use them.
    We also catch some nice bass,whites/stripers, and walleyes. (also the occasional trophy drum as we call them LOL)
    It is not uncommon to have a fish on every rod at once, gets to be like a Chinese fire drill sometimes.
    I use the smaller line in order to get the bait deeper at slower speeds, I am new to this so I am still experimenting and have had the greatest success so far this way but am opening to trying different methods. I do have a problem with speed so I'm fine tuning it to get it right. The big motor is too fast and drives the bait into the bottom even with heavier line. The trolling motor is too slow so I went to a smaller diameter line and it seems to be working.

Do you know what speed you are going?

Post Thanks / Like

Dont have GPS so have no real idea how fast but its pretty fast, on top speed of 75lbs thrust on a 20' bass boat.
    Ive tried big motor but baits all come to the top if there too fast, go figure.
    I do know they are running the depth that they are designed for because when I go over brush at a certain depth I see the rods tip to indicate that the baits have hit the brush.

P.S. You guys are getting me to tell more than I want to !!!
    :D:D:D
    Last edited by justfishin; 07-17-2008 at 11:18 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast