Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Okatibbee

Post Thanks / Like

Default Okatibbee

Just got my boat out of the shop and have not been on the lake in 3 weeks. It seemed to me then that the crappie had just about spawned out and may have been on the way out to deeper water. Any reports on their depths now?
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Don't guess too many folk fish Okatibbee on this board but I will give a report on what happened this morning. First time I had been on the lake in a month, just got my boat back and had been wanting to go. It has really been about a year since I had had my boat on the lake and able to fish like I like, following the creek and tight lining. Fog early, blue bird sky and no wind at all, always the worst conditions as far as I'm concerned. Stayed about 2 hours before the sun ran me off the lake, had 9 keepers, 4 males and 5 females. The males were the largest and were in their courting colors and the small females looked to have immature eggs. I had thought the spawn was over but maybe not as we had caught some bigger female a month ago and they seemed to have spawned out. All the males came from one stump in 6 foot of water and the female were scattered along the creek. Started out with a light colored jig on one pole and a blk/green on the other and all the bites came on the blk/green so I put a blk/red on the other pole and it was good too. So I am very confused about the spawn!

Post Thanks / Like

SteveJ - I have a crappie tournament over there May 28th. I would love to be able to get a report from ya closer to then. I can always give a report for the Rez and will even show you some spots if your not familiar with it. I fish it atleast twice a week 52 weeks a year! I have only fished Okatibbee twice and that was last year. We tried jig fishing in visable structure and couldn't find any. We then trolled minnows on a 3 hook set up and caught at least a 100 but they were all small. Are there any good fish in the lake?
    B&M Pro Staff
    Driftmaster Pro Staff
    TEAM BAIT PUMP
    MAGNOLIA CRAPPIE CLUB

Post Thanks / Like

Be glad to give you a hand, my son is coming in from Albuqueque on the 27th, haven't seen my granddaughter in 16 months so will not be able to fish that day. Okatibbee crappie are small side of the Rez fish, so thin you can read thru them. What club are in a member? Do you fish against Rabbit, he is very good I think. Back in 1992 the Mid-South club had a March and May tournment over here and my partner and I won both of them, 29.4 and 30 lbs. I am retired and like to fish during the week if possable, shoot me an e-mail. Steve

Post Thanks / Like

SteveJ - I fish in the Magnolia Crappie Club and yes that is the one Rabbit fishes in. I agree he is very good and I owe him allot because he has talt me allot. He is very helpfull to us young guys who want to learn. He has put me on some fish this year on the Rez during the spawn that I would have never known about. I appreciate the the tips on whats happening at Okatibbee.
    B&M Pro Staff
    Driftmaster Pro Staff
    TEAM BAIT PUMP
    MAGNOLIA CRAPPIE CLUB

Post Thanks / Like

Default May 17th

Had a pretty good morning today. Started out with 1/8 oz jig and didn't catch but 2 keepers the first hour, changed to 1/16 oz and added crappie nibbles for the first time for me and got 13 keepers the next 2 hours. None real large, 1 at about 1 1/2 lb, the rest 10 to 12 inches or so. Think I am now a believer in crappie nibbles, sure seemed to work today. 8 to 12 foot deep, like purple and white tubes on a yellow head best. Also hooked a 20 t0 25 lb carp which I fought for about 20 mins until I saw what it was and then I broke my line, was hoping for a flathead.

Post Thanks / Like

SteveJ sounds like you had a pretty good day. I may try to get over that way next week. May drop you a email before then for a few pointers.

Craig

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by olelucky
    SteveJ sounds like you had a pretty good day. I may try to get over that way next week. May drop you a email before then for a few pointers.

Craig
    Give me a toot.